🎉 Node-RED 3.0.1 released

Simon, would you be kind enough to raise an issue please?

I think the issue needs narrowing down before I do that - at the moment it's only happening for me on one particular subflow

Please raise an issue titled "Cannot copy/paste subflow node with name containing regex reserved characters"

I can see exactly what the problem is. No need to narrow down further.

1 Like

Done Cannot copy/paste subflow node with name containing regex reserved characters · Issue #3813 · node-red/node-red · GitHub

from command prompt.
~$ node-red

FYI: Cannot import subflow with junction node

And the answers to the other questions?

I pretty much checked all the obvious things, (I think). So, I ran the install command to install/upgrade like I have many times before. The npm install with @version is not performing the expected install.

user@ThinkPad-T420s:~$ sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red@3.0.1
[sudo] password for user:

changed 294 packages, and audited 295 packages in 10s

38 packages are looking for funding
run npm fund for details

found 0 vulnerabilities

------ then run Node-RED ------

user@ThinkPad-T420s:~$ node-red
1 Aug 20:38:21 - [info]

Welcome to Node-RED

1 Aug 20:38:21 - [info] Node-RED version: v3.0.0-beta.4
1 Aug 20:38:21 - [info] Node.js version: v18.1.0
1 Aug 20:38:21 - [info] Linux 5.4.0-122-generic x64 LE
1 Aug 20:38:22 - [info] Loading palette nodes
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [info] Dashboard version 3.1.7 started at /ui
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [info] Settings file : /home/user/.node-red/settings.js
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [info] User directory : /home/user/.node-red
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [warn] Flows file name not set. Generating name using hostname.
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [info] Flows file : /home/user/.node-red/flows_ThinkPad-T420s.json
1 Aug 20:38:23 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/

@Colin asked to check another command to determine the location node-red is installed

yes, I'm stating these items in the first post. i.e. the install command is the npm global... I've done this time and time again and upgraded this system. I have done the same on a Windows 10 and had no problem installing or upgrading with the install. I just posted install and run terminal text and response.

I understand you are frustrated but I don't see the answer to @Colin's question anywhere. Perhaps you've misread his question. Type

which node-red

in a terminal on the system where you're having difficulty.

Yep, Missed that. I certainly had no idea that was a command at all. My bad!

user@ThinkPad-T420s:~$ which node-red
/home/user/.nvm/versions/node/v18.1.0/bin/node-red
1 Like

That is the problem, you have more than one version of node red installed. At some point you have used the program nvm and this is the result. Unless you want to carry on using nvm for some reason then you need to uninstall it and remove all related files. I don't know how to uninstall it, but you could start be removing that .nvm directory.

This is enlightening. I can npm uninstall node-red right? So I can navigate to it and uninstall the other version as well? Then nvm uninstall for nvm?

nvm is for managing many different version of Node.js. This is probably when I went to upgrade Node.js and it was not clear how to upgrade node. So nvm looked inviting to be able to add a new version..

Looks like I'm going to be on Google for a bit.
Thanks!

Yes.

On a test system, it can be useful BUT only if you understand the limitations. If you switch versions using nvm, you have to reinstall all of your global packages.

That sounds like taking a stir-stick to your system. I got conflicting information on keeping Node up to date. What is the best way to keep node to the version? What is the proper install process. Last time I apparently got lost in the Googlage.

I would not disagree - why most of us recommend not using nvm. But occasionally it can be helpful.

What platform?

On Linux, my preference is to use one of the official or near official repos. That's what I've always done on Rasbian and Debian. Then it is simply a case of running sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade as you do with the rest of the OS until you want to change major version. The node website has the details. Major version changes need a script to be run and then an update. Of course, it is recommended to do an npm rebuild and npm -g rebuild after a major version change.

On Windows, it is a little more annoying and I tend to simply download the latest version periodically and reinstall. That still keeps all of your existing installs.

Some people on Rasbian/Debian/Ubuntu, simply don't update until there is a node-red update, then they use Dave's clever script.

Linux Mint. 20.3

I know where the files are in Windows, I see that I have node-red still running because its still in the nvm folder and still runs after I uninstalled node-red. Uninstalled again and it came back as not removing anything. So, it looks like my extra install is still in nvm.

Question: Where is Node-RED supposed to be when you install it in -g global ? that is where it was removed, I guess.

Which is Debian/Ubuntu based.

Since the uninstall cannot touch the one under nvm. This is what i'm guessing. can I just delete files that may still hang out after i uninstall nvm?