🎉 Node-RED 3.1.0-beta.1 released

It's a manual task to do and we've not had the bandwidth to get it done. Hopefully will have that sorted for the beta-2.

2 Likes

Hi @knolleary,
I'm double clicking the node to view the edit dialog via the sidebar - info tab:

It appears the issue only occurs if I try to view the edit dialog of a debug node that is configured to output via debug window.

Note: A read only view of a node's edit dialog for a locked flow, in my opinion, would be highly desirable. I would find it very productive to be able to view a node's configuration for reference purposes while maintaining the extra security of a locked flow.

That is currently out of scope for 3.1. The edit dialog is entirely defined by each node - with lots of different custom behaviours. They may rely on being able to set properties on the node object whilst the dialog is open and before the 'done' button is pressed. In fact, that's exactly the issue you've hit with the Debug node - it sets some default values for properties that were introduced in a recent version of Node-RED. But with the node object locked, those changes cannot be made and an error thrown.

It might be possible to better handle those errors in the editor - and silently discard any modifications attempted on the node. The risk is, with the range of highly creative node authors out there, there will be a node edit dialog that breaks in an entirely unexpected way.

Thanks, now I understand the complexity in regards to the unlimited creativity of node authors. I will just plan to view locked flows with the my method while taking care to not view nodes such as the debug node. Worst case I just need to reload the web page.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.