Node-red-contrib-google-action 2.0.0-alpha released

Hello,
Has anyone tried to use (in ask node) "simple select" or "list select" type to develop a conversation with google assistant using this node (v2.0.0)? I tried using the structure suggested by google to pass the list options (https://developers.google.com/actions/assistant/responses) but I could not get any conversation. I am only able to establish a full conversation using "simple" type.
Any hint will be appreciated.
Jose Zapico

Is node-red-contrib-google-action still supported? 2.0.0 Alpha was announced in December last year but still has not been released and there doesn't seem to be anything going on in the git repo. Issues there are going unanswered.

I was hoping to try to interface google assistant to node-red but I am not sure which route to take.

1 Like

Hi Colin,
You are rigth, it seems like this node is no more updated. I looked inside the node code and I realized that some option types are not implemented. Infact, the only type I could use is the "simple" type and it works.
The annoying part is that each time you use the command you must say "Hey google, use my test app" and wait for the google reply "OK I'll get your test app". Then you can establish your own conversation using the "start" - "ask" and "tell" nodes. The "ask" node you can use it several times in the same command to establish a kind of conversation.

I am also using IFTTT web hook making use of "http in node" and "http response node" on the node-red side. The problem with IFTTT and google assistant is that so far, Google has not a way (in IFTTT site) to send a request from an IFTTT event to the google assistant. The only way I found to use IFTTT and Google assistant is generating an event from google assistant (you define an "if this" using google assistant service in IFTTT) and taking an action in "then that" using webhook request to arrive to your node-red system and taking the appropiate action. This method allows you to take actions like turn on/off appliance or devices saying "Ok google, turn on main lights" or "Ok google turn off the motor pump". You can also do orders like "ok google, turn on the main lights during 20 minutes" and get the time value and time units in a json content on node-red side.(see IFTTT web hook action).
I could not find a way to send an action to google assistant from an IFTTT event and receive from google a response with the requested information, i.e. "ok google, tell me the outside temperature" and receive a response like " the external temperature is 12,7 ĀŗC". Infact, so far there is not any google service in the "then that" actions (in IFTTT site).
This type of things you can do it using the node-red-contrib-google-action 2.0.0 but with the known inconvenient of saying "Ok google, use my test app" and wait for the reply.

kind regards
JZ

@DeanC is this still supported Dean?

Hello,

I am using node-red in the IBM package (node-red starter), how do I open port 8081 in my application? I suspect this is my problem.

I created the keys and certificates as directed by Bart and set up the action package, everything worked correctly, but the simulator does not respond on node-red.

I am planning to use Google Actions, after reading this thread and also the github readme. Can I have a few questions in the beginning?

1. Let's say I create an app with a flow in the node-red that communicates with a specific device. If I make this app public, somebody implements my node red flow and have the same device would he be able to use the flow without configuring the app himself?
  2. Assuming that it makes sense to make an app public (see question 1), would you create multiple apps for logically separate functions, or just create one "node red" app and implement everything there?
  3. If I have a Home Hub, would it be possible that the Prompt or the Completion contains an image/animation along with a text? Like if I ask for temperature or any data besides getting a verbal response, I can also push e.g. graph to the Home Hub display?

Regards,
Csongor

I saw this and I am not sure if this could be a solution for me.
The main question I have: Can I use this without the need of those hardware like google home assistant spying my home all the time and sending anything to googles cloud?! I would prefer to talk to my node red desktop. Is this possible?

Unfortunately not. The audio still goes to Google for processing.

Hi guys, this work with self signed certificates?

Thanks