Node-Red Crashing? Can't Program

Hi all,

My Node-Red setup is currently acting up. When I was working on it tonight it stared getting really laggy, and when I added nodes in they disappeared. Now when I open up the web page a good chunk of nodes are missing, and the ones that are there have no wires connecting anything. The flows are still running so I know it is working partially, but I don't know where to look to try to fix it.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: This link seems to be the same issue. Hopefully I don't have to rebuild everything! https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/node-red/icKTDm2ZUy4

That is an ancient issue. Are you using a very old version of node red?

Start by doing a full refresh of the browser (possibly ctrl+F5). If that doesn't fix it then try a restart of node red. If still no joy then post the start of the node red log when you restart it. Also tell us what hardware and OS you are using.

Hi, I just tried the browser refresh and node-red restart with no luck, the log info is...

12 Aug 02:25:46 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.18.7
12 Aug 02:25:46 - [info] Node.js  version: v10.7.0
12 Aug 02:25:46 - [info] Linux 4.9.0-6-amd64 x64 LE
12 Aug 02:25:46 - [info] Loading palette nodes
12 Aug 02:25:46 - [info] Dashboard version 2.9.6 started at /ui

It's running on a Debian system, and using Chrome to access it. Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5660 @ 2.80GHz and system ram is 24gb.

Edit: Here is a link to a small section of the flow to see what I'm seeing. http://imgur.com/on7lF1Jl.png

Edit 2: More Info, leading up to this happening while I was trying to figure out the nodes that disappeared when I added them... I tried a couple times to deploy but the red button didn't do anything when clicked. Shortly after, this problem happened.

1 Like

I don't know whether it could be a factor but node.js version 10.x is not a recommended version for node-red. I suggest trying a downgrade to the LTS version (currently 8.11.3).

The version of node.js is likely to be irrelevant to behaviour in the browser.

Can you check the browser JavaScript console for any error messages?

See below, last block of messages are red.

Node-RED: 0.18.7

main.min.js:16 Projects disabled

vendor.js:5 [Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.
send @ vendor.js:5

red.min.js:16 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'indexOf' of undefined
at Object.l [as import] (red.min.js:16)
at Object.success (main.min.js:16)
at j (vendor.js:2)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (vendor.js:2)
at x (vendor.js:5)
at XMLHttpRequest.b (vendor.js:5)

Without seeing your flow, I would suggest you make a backup of your flow and then start removing things and see when that error goes away. Then put back the node that seemed to caused the error ad check again. If it does cause the error, you can tell us what the node is and get some more help.

I deleted the tab/flow that I was working on when the problem happened, the red error went away but the node connections are still are missing.

Is there a way to check syntax of the flow file? Maybe something got messed up?

Edit: When I updated and redeployed, the missing connections actually went missing. The whole thing stopped working.

Edit 2: I dropped in the backup file and restarted Node-Red and things started working again...however all the connections are still missing the wires in the editor. So the main flow file is working correctly, but the editor is interpreting it wrong and when it gets redeployed it pushes its bad design.

Update, I think the problem got worked out. I found a few nodes on the bottom of my .json file that had null location data. So I deleted them and reloaded Node-Red and everything seems to be back to where I was last night!

Thank you for ya'lls help!

Was getting this error on nodered 1.0.2 when trying to open the basic /red endpoint in the browser:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'indexOf' of undefined
at ResourceStore.getResource (redproject/node_modules/i18next/dist/commonjs/ResourceStore.js:83:15

Seems there is an issue with the app. It mostly defaults options.lng to 'en-US' but not always. Then the i18next language dependency does a terrible job of defaulting and just breaks...

Tried running express with a custom query parser, but no dice. So here is my solution for the nodered.js express server:

const querystring = require('querystring');
const app = express();

app.use(function(req, res, next){
    req.query = Object.assign({lng: 'en-US'}, querystring.parse(req.query()));
    next();
});

const server ....

If you think you hit a bug, you should raise an issue on github.
@knolleary may have some thoughts.

Without a full stack trace of the error you are hitting there isn't much to go on here. No-one else has mentioned an issue like this, so there must be something particular to your environment. It looks like you're embedding Node-RED in your own app, is that right? Any more information you can share?

Regardless, please don't post on year-old topics when you are hitting a different issue on a version released in the last couple weeks.