Node-RED in Yocto

Hi,

I am working on an embedded Linux device with Node-RED. The OS we worked on was Debian, now we decided to move on to Yocto. I managed to enable Node-RED v1.18.5 in the build which brings me a few default nodes. But I didn't find a way to add serialport node which is used to communicate with another device.

I am wondering if there are any out of box serial port node I could use or I have to build a new one? Any advice or clue?

BTW, the platform is i.MX 6UL from NXP.

Thanks
Simon

What errors do you get if you try to install the serial port node manually ?

Actually I got no idea how to install serialport node so there are no errors...
In Debian, I run "npm i node-red-node-serialport" to install the node. But for Yocto, I assume it shouldn't be like this. To my understanding, the work flow in Yocto should be: Config -> Cross compile in PC -> flash image to target device. So I am looking for a recipe to install the node. I found node-red and some nodes in "https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/?q=node-red", and this is the way I install Node-RED, but I didn't find serialport there.

I am new to both Yocto and Node-RED, please correct me if there is anything wrong.

Thanks
Simon

well Node-RED runs on top of node.js so somehow that must be installed - and that should hopefully include npm - so I would hope you can still try to run npm i node-red-serialport. I can well believe that that may fail and you may need to install some pre-reqs like gcc or other compile tools as serialport does require local compile to suit the platform.

Other Yocto platforms have made it work in the past so I would like to think it is possible but...