Node-Red: Unexpected connection to amazonaws.com

Hi,
I have been running node-red on my raspberry pi for some time now just doing some basic stuff. It is all supposed to be within my private LAN so I was surprised to see a connection to an Amazon node:

$ sudo netstat -pant
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 192.168.5.87:51654 34.236.123.240:1883 ESTABLISHED 215/node-red

host 34.236.123.240
240.123.236.34.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ec2-34-236-123-240.compute-1.amazonaws.com.

I did tcpdump on it and my Node-Red is sending a packet about once a minute.

I don't have any flows that should involve outside servers. Is this normal? Is there a way to configure it not to do this?

My version is a bit old now 0.17.4

Thanks,
John

This is not something Node-RED is doing by itself. What additional node modules have you installed?

Are you using any Alexa nodes?

I am not using Alexa or anything that I think should require a connection outside. It is receiving mqtt from a few nodes inside my house.
I think the only extra I added was:
node-red-contrib-sqldbs
node-red-dashboard

Thanks for the replies.

could you open a terminal window and enter ls -d /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red* and post the results

Sure:
$ ls -d /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red*
/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-dashboard

Thanks

I figured it out. It was for thingspeak which I tried out a while back. I had deleted all the nodes related to it in my flows but it still showed up as unused under the "all flows" tab. After I deleted it the connection went away.

Thanks,
John

Oh good. Now that you have figured it out, you should think about upgrading to 0.19.5...(backup your SD card first)

Done. Went smoothly. I will have to check what is new.