Nodered + Home Assistant activate scene with specific application

Hi all!

I'm trying to get my lights in the living room to dim when watching movies/series. I've a scene made in Home Assistant to dim the proper lights.

So I'm watching on a Nvidia Shield and it is connected to my HA so it can read if it is on/off or playing/paused but also which application is started.

For this I would like to filter out some apps I don't want my lights to dim when started, like Youtube.

Does somebody have any idea how I would do that in Node-Red, which Node I should use and what JSON Data to use?

Many thanks!

Darryl

I don't use HA but if you can share the activated app plus the shield status to Node-Red you can then use switch nodes in parallel to activate the flow when the shield is turned on and playing. Then use a switch node to filter to the aps that you want to dim the lights for. Finally attach those outputs to a change node to set your dim level and send that back to HA to dim your lights.

Well, that's the thing, in node-red I can only see if the Shield is playing/paused/off as far as I know. But in HA I can see also what App is running but I don't know how I can see this in node-red.

Can you push the app playing to an MQTT broker as another way to transfer it to Node-Red? Otherwise maybe another node that you can push through a variable value of the app running

How do you link your Nvidia Shield to HA ?

As a Google Cast device.

I've to look into this, thanks for pointing it out!

NP. I switched from dedicated hub nodes to MQTT and never looked back-back. Made it super easy when I switched from OpenHab to Homeseer and allowed me to integrate in some other independent components.

I see, but I'm not planning to switch platform any time soon so more looking for a permanent solution.

Sorry, that was just an extra benefit. It's more that by using a neutral approach it's easy to integrate in other pieces as needed and gives you more flexibility

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.