[Not required now]Editing .my flow.json file manually

Due to a breaking change in the Blockly node (which I asked for) I would like to manually edit my flow.json file

What's a good editor to do this with?

Any straight text editor, gedit, nano, vi, jEdit.
If you are stuck with Windows then I guess there are similar editors there, but someone else will have to help there.

With nano it will be on one line only, but if you know what you are looking for it's possible.

I was thinking more along the lines of something that formatted JSON it to look nicer (with line breaks etc) :slight_smile:

I've actually just done a global search and replace and crossed my fingers - seems to have worked so my orig request probably mute now

Simon, aren't you using Projects?

em - no - worth using then?

Better than sliced bread. I had a "git" week last week and got my head around the whole concept finally. The node-red Project interface is wonderful too.

1 Like

Once we get @BartButenaers to press go on his Blockly node - I'll give it a whirl :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meanwhile in your settings.js file you can

// To enabled pretty-printing of the flow within the flow file, set the following
//  property to true:
flowFilePretty: true,

to format the saved flow file in multiline format.

3 Likes

That's much nicer (I'm assuming small processing overhead penalty for doing this?)

[
    {
        "id": "60eeba5b.7c29b4",
        "type": "tab",
        "label": "Scratch",
        "disabled": false,
        "info": ""
    },
    {
        "id": "a168c0e4.23e8e",
        "label": "MQTT Broker",
    },
    {
        "id": "7f2669ea.dd8698",
        "label": "MQTT Dyn",
    },
    {
        "id": "f09d4a19.a446e8",
        "label": "Blocker",

Not really - just extra whitespace and filling up chat messages when cut/paste of a single line to share code is easier :slight_smile:

1 Like