[Not required now]Editing .my flow.json file manually

Due to a breaking change in the Blockly node (which I asked for) I would like to manually edit my flow.json file

What's a good editor to do this with?

0 Likes

Any straight text editor, gedit, nano, vi, jEdit.
If you are stuck with Windows then I guess there are similar editors there, but someone else will have to help there.

0 Likes

With nano it will be on one line only, but if you know what you are looking for it's possible.

0 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of something that formatted JSON it to look nicer (with line breaks etc) :slight_smile:

I've actually just done a global search and replace and crossed my fingers - seems to have worked so my orig request probably mute now

0 Likes

Simon, aren't you using Projects?

0 Likes

em - no - worth using then?

0 Likes

Better than sliced bread. I had a "git" week last week and got my head around the whole concept finally. The node-red Project interface is wonderful too.

1 Like

Once we get @BartButenaers to press go on his Blockly node - I'll give it a whirl :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meanwhile in your settings.js file you can

// To enabled pretty-printing of the flow within the flow file, set the following
//  property to true:
flowFilePretty: true,

to format the saved flow file in multiline format.

3 Likes

That's much nicer (I'm assuming small processing overhead penalty for doing this?)

[
    {
        "id": "60eeba5b.7c29b4",
        "type": "tab",
        "label": "Scratch",
        "disabled": false,
        "info": ""
    },
    {
        "id": "a168c0e4.23e8e",
        "label": "MQTT Broker",
    },
    {
        "id": "7f2669ea.dd8698",
        "label": "MQTT Dyn",
    },
    {
        "id": "f09d4a19.a446e8",
        "label": "Blocker",
0 Likes

Not really - just extra whitespace and filling up chat messages when cut/paste of a single line to share code is easier :slight_smile:

1 Like