Paid Nodes Question

Hey @mtoko,
You can create a pull request here for the "panzoom" branch (which will become the next release. Or just contact me via a private message if you are not sure about anything.

The simple answer is that the core project has no time or resources to support this. The time and effort to build (and then maintain) a marketplace is another project we do not need.

Also as previous mentioned as soon as there is an offer of money in exchange then there may be a contract in place (whether written or not) - and that drags in copyright, liability, intellectual property rights, etc.... While many of these things can probably be sorted out, it's not something we ever want to have to worry about.

I appreciate both that there are folk who want and need things built and are happy to pay, and likewise there are many who appreciate either real paid for development, or a beer or coffee in thanks . ("If I only had 1c for every download from dockerhub..." :slight_smile: )

Net is - I'm glad we're having this discussion, and I hope the community can work something out, but I don't think it's something that the core project would step up to.

7 Likes

Well, some might still have a salary for working with the core project and if more resources needed, if throughput is experienced too low, option is to hire more folks to the core project team. Otherwise, let it just be as is, is my opinion, a wild west is not wanted, but fine, if users can add some paypal button on their profile or so, I don't mind

@dceejay Thanks for these comments, I agree that this should not be an additional workload for the core team (they are busy doing a great job) and you have raised valid points, but I feel that your valuable input is completely necessary. If you had strongly disagreed with this idea then it would not be worth further discussion. The comment about Dockerhub was interesting as this does support this idea in a strange way :grinning:
@krambriw @BartButenaers
Just to clear up some confusion in earlier posts. @krambriw suggested that it was never too late to make a contribution (financial) @BartButenaers assumed my offer was for a contribution (coding) and provided details for a PR. My intention was a financial contribution (somewhere between embarrassingly low and what I can afford), so Bart please contact by private message

Haha :rofl:. Now you got me. This way you see that I am a real open-source developer ...

Will have a look if I can add a "buy me a beer" or "buy my wife a coffee" button to my readme pages.
And in a year from now I can step into my boss his office, wipe all the papers from his desk, tell him that he is a jerk, quit my job, go for a couple of free coffee and beers with my wife, and then go find another job because we are bankrupt ...

4 Likes

Well @mtoko - get coding some html :stuck_out_tongue: and get this node-red compensations site going <------'poking fun. not meant to be taken seriously'

To whom ever takes up this task; I know I and a bunch of others here in the node-red community will not support it unless almost all funds short of server costs, bank transaction fees and a pack of beer per month needs to goto the developers.

There needs to be some serious transparency up front.

1 Like

Klass has a paypal account https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/BiancoRoyal/
He's tried Patron too received masive 0

The thing is, his nodes are widely used in Industrial & building automation.
Therefore people complain when he's doesn't keep them up to date.

A few years ago we decided we would go back to using hardware protocol convertors in place of some of the custom nodes we had used on early projects.

In a different IoT/Smart Home/Home Automation world, I used to send a yearly 'donation' to the developers whose work I used that year. Doing something like that I'd do here for new work, but it was never for maintenance purposes. I would think that would create a big mess e.g. "I need this fixed; this doesn't work", etc

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.