Pallette keywords

Hi folks,

In another discussion, I was a bit surprised that the user couldn't find my node-red-contrib-interval-length node when searching in the pallette.

A bit strange, since I added a rather extensive list of keywords (in the package.json file of my node):

[ "node-red", "interval", "length", "period", "time", "measure", "duration", "width", "pulse", "power" ],

So you should be able to find my node, based on one of these keywords (I thought).
However when I use e.g. the "time" keyword in the pallette, it cannot find my contribution:

I have no clue why only the first 3 keywords work. Have tried this for another node (e.g. node-red-contrib-play-audio), but there I have the same problem:

Have been looking in the old forum, but cannot find something about this. Is this a known issue?

Thanks !
Bart Butenaers

0 Likes

The catalogue doesn’t search on keywords. The first three work because they are present in the name of the node.

0 Likes

Morning Nick (@knolleary),

Saw on Trello that the Palette will get some changes in the 1.0 release. Is searching on keywords also planned? I'm a bit afraid that e.g. novice users won't find my node-red-contrib-blockly node in the near future, when they search on 'visual' 'programming' or whatever keywords...

Thanks!
Bart

0 Likes

The Trello board doesn't say anything about what is planned for 1.0. The only plans for 1.0 is the general high-level roadmap on the blog from last July.
When any particular item on the Trello board gets addressed will depend on either when I am inclined to work on it, or someone volunteers time and effort to help.

I have added an item to the existing 'Manage palette improvements' item to allow search by keyword.

0 Likes

Hi Nick (@knolleary),

OMG... Have been debugging the whole palette editor to prepare a pull request. However it appeared that everything behaved alread correctly: my search string is already searched both in the node name AND in the node keywords. Thought I was getting nuts ...

For example, when I enter 'time' it displays my 'interval-length' node nicely (since it has a 'time' keyword):

Indeed when the palette editor is loaded the first time, both the node name and the keywords are all concatenated together into the 'index' property:

And when I have entered my 'time' search text, the editable list will be filtered based on the 'index' field:

The only thing I did wrong in my original post above, was that I had entered 'time' in the 'nodes' tabsheet instead of the 'install' tabsheet. Damn ...

So case closed.
If you are still on holiday, have a nice time on the beach !!!!
Bart

0 Likes