Passive Notifications from Node-Red Dashboard

I have been trying to create passive notifications from node-red for quite some time now but I am not able to find a way to make it work. I am running on a raspberry pi 4 with buster.

I was using the ui dashboard notification node but this essentially acts as a pop up in the browser. I am usually running another application in the foreground with a node-red dashboard running on the browser in the background. I didn't really want to just pop the browser on a notification because it may not be important enough for me to switch over and look at the dashboard. I want to use a passive notification so that it will pop on the screen over my foreground application.

I installed the node-red-node-notify node and I believe that I installed the prerequisites of
libnotify-bin and growl correctly but was not able to get this working. After days of banging my head against a wall I finally gave up on this and tried a different approach. I installed and ran lxqt notification daemon. I have also used the libnotify Notification-Daemon and the Xfce4 notification daemon. I am able to create pop up notifications using all of these daemons by using the notify-send command in the terminal but I cannot create the notifications from node-red by using the exec node. I tried putting the command in a script and again I am able to run it from the terminal but not from node-red. I have changed permissions to all for both the notify-send command and the script. Still no success. I don't get an error from the exec node it just does not create the notification.

I played around a bit with web push but I could not get it working and I don't really think this will perform as I need it to.

Any ideas why this does not work or an alternative approach I could try?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.