Pi: Lost Palette manager, can't update

Colin, when you see this: Is there any personal info in the install log that I should remove before posting it?

I donā€™t think so. Your user name will be there but unless you have changed it that is just pi.

HALLELUJA! The forum strikes again! ā€œNew users canā€™t upload attachments.ā€ :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Are you by any chance on any working forum, like AVSForum, EventGhost, Promixis or something?

Edit: Or Home assistant. Same crappy software, but at least Iā€™m not new thereā€¦

Edit 2: Administrators, I applaud your work to create a new forum for Node-RED, my acidic comments are more about the one mistake you made, choosing this piece of you know what forum software to run it on.

@Mastiff Iā€™m sorry that youā€™ve been frustrated. By default the platform flags you as a new user for 24 hours after registration (I believe).

In this instance, Iā€™ve flagged you as a regular user so you should be able to post freely now.

We also have our slack team available - https://nodered.org/slack - if youā€™d prefer.

If you have any constructive feedback, then please do share it in #meta. Simply complaining about our choice isnā€™t going to get very far.

Well, it got me this far, didnā€™t it! :joy: Colin, hereā€™s the log!

Oh, and no, I donā€™t prefer slack. I prefer good, old-fashioned forum software that is more about the content then cool ā€œbadgesā€ and ā€œHow about a picture for your accountā€. But then Iā€™m oldā€¦

Edit: No, it didnā€™t get me this far. Still the ā€œnew users canā€™t upload.ā€

Mastiff, if it helps & is quicker, zip it, mail it to me and I will upload
/Walter

Thanks, Walter! Done. :slight_smile:

Installasjonslogg Node-RED.txt (66.4 KB)

Sorry, Walter. I forgot to zip it. But as you have probably seen in the years youā€™ve known me I have a big problem zipping it! :rofl:

What do you see on the console when it gets as far as it gets?

I only see what I showed in the other thread. It says that Update Node.js LTS āœ˜ Failed to install Node.js - Exit and then it goes to command prompt.

Are you running the bash <(curl... command from https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi ? If not then try that.

If that still fails then what do you see for

node -v
npm -v

If npm -v says it is not installed then

sudo apt-get install npm

and try the upgrade script again.

1 Like

I tried the curl command now, it gave the same result as the shorter command.

As for the versions:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ node -v
v4.2.1
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ npm -v
ERROR: npm is known not to run on Node.js v4.2.1
Node.js 4 is supported but the specific version you're running has
a bug known to break npm. Please update to at least 4.7.0 to use this
version of npm. You can find the latest release of Node.js at https://nodejs.org/
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

That was written yesterday, not so long after your previous answer, Colin. But of course I was forbidden from posting it:

Knolleary, I donā€™t know what you have done, but you have not made me a regular user, because I was blocked from writing more than 15 posts in a day. Not when clicking ā€œreplyā€, but AFTER I had spent time writing theanswer! Another stellar example on the fantastic skills of the code monkeys behind this software! I hope I can post now. But Iā€™m not blaming you for that, of course! My guess is that the administration of the forum software is as confusing and ā€œcoolā€ as the user experience.

Edit: Nope, still 10 minutes leftā€¦

Unless you have lots but of other things on the sdcard, why not start again with a fresh download of Raspbian.

Mainly because I spent months getting Node-RED and Home Assistant (for ZWave, because I never got Node-RED reliable with my door lock) to play nice and work as they should. But yeah, that will be my final option, if this attempt fails. I have notes and forum posts that will help me, so I guess this time it will probably only take a full weekendā€™s workā€¦ :wink:

Edit: The reason it took so long (with lots of patience and help from Krambriw) was mainly because Iā€™m a Windows guy, and I wanted everything to be exactly the way I wanted it. (Yeah, thatā€™s meā€¦) Iā€™m sure you guys would have done it in an evening.

I think I have an idea what may be going on, I think there is a flaw in the install script under some unusual circumstances. Try this. Some of these commands may say not installed or not found but donā€™t worry.

sudo apt-get remove nodejs npm
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo rm /usr/bin/node
sudo rm /usr/bin/npm

Save the result of those in case I ask to see it later.
Then run the bash <(curl command again.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get remove nodejs npm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'npm' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
lxkeymap python-cairo python-gobject python-gobject-2 python-gtk2 python-xklavier
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
nodejs
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 41,9 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 123536 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nodejs (6.14.3-1nodesource1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
lxkeymap python-cairo python-gobject python-gobject-2 python-gtk2 python-xklavier
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 4.261 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 120535 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing lxkeymap (0.8.0~bzr25-1+rpi3) ...
Removing python-gtk2 (2.24.0-5.1) ...
Removing python-cairo (1.8.8-2.2) ...
Removing python-xklavier (0.4-4) ...
Removing python-gobject (3.22.0-2) ...
Removing python-gobject-2 (2.28.6-13) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-9) ...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo rm /usr/bin/node
rm: cannot remove '/usr/bin/node': No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo rm /usr/bin/npm
rm: cannot remove '/usr/bin/npm': No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

And the end result was the same, the curl script broke on update node.js.

Edit: Oh, flaws under unusual circumstances... I think I'm a magnet for those!

Ok, in fact I have managed to get a pi into the same state as yours. Just investigatingā€¦