Problems Installing NodeRED

Someone may have done something like that, but nothing that got as far as being contributed back to the project for us to document.

If anyone is interested in help create a windows-installer equivalent of GitHub - node-red/linux-installers: Node-RED install scripts for various flavours of Linux then please do let me know.

I did something like that in the past - before Node-RED stepped into my life! :wink:
Thus I think I could create a prototype based on that experience...

1 Like

I think you are probably right to avoid Linux. Some people prefer words; some prefer pictures.
I only mentioned it because like you I was defeated by trying to install Node-red on Windows and to raise the issue of needing a Windows installer.

As you can tell from this forum, Node-red is friendlier than that.

To be pedantic, it is just as easy to install on Windows as it is on Linux. However, it isn't as easy to run it as a SERVICE on Windows as it is on Linux because nobody has ever published a script like Dave's for Debian. Actually installing a Node-RED service by hand on Linux is every bit as hard as for Windows if not more so since you need to work through the oddities of creating the right links in the right folders for systemd.

Though "only" of help if you are running a Debian flavour of Linux. Won't work for a Red Hat style for example.

I don't believe so.

That would be amazing!

I've never done it because I generally don't ever run run Node-RED on Windows except as a development environment and in that case, I much prefer to run under PM2 started manually.

I have to disagree.
For [Debian] Linux the first pargraph of the documentation gives you a single command which will install node.js, npm and Node-red and set up and enable a systemd service to automatically start NR when the OS boots. The same command will update an installed system too.
The only predictable snags for a naiive user are that it doesn't tell you how to get to the command line or make it obvious that you have to start node-red once (or reboot) after installing.

Contrariwise, for Windows the documentation starts with

Download the latest 14.x LTS version of Node.js from the official Node.js home page.

That is misleading (Node.js 14)? and you have to go to a different site to install the prerequisites.

Next there is a command line to install Node-red. Shorter than the Debian one.
And then setting up a service so it all starts automatically with the OS and without a command window full of text.
I would say it's an order of magnitude more difficult on Windows. I suspect that many Windows users find the process antiquated and intimidating so they never get past the installation and discover how approachable Node-red really is.

The install script for Debian based Linuxes is indeed a fine piece of work and Dave has clearly gone to considerable lengths to hide the complexities and to make it work with a broad range of Debian installations.
There is a Red Hat version too, though a bit more hidden. I've never tried it.

Ah, sorry, we are slightly adrift there. What I should have said that to install node-red manually was just as easy :slight_smile:

Yes, of course, Dave's wonderful script makes it much easier - on Debian related versions of Linux only. :grin:

And by the way, if you include WSL as "Windows", Dave's script can run there as well on the latest versions (now that WSL allows you to turn on support for systemd).

Which is why I've always encouraged people to think about using an alternative approach that leverages the strengths of "native" npm. And of course, I released an npm package to help with that. Which works as well on Windows as it does on any OS supported by node.js.

Out of date I think rather than misleading. It should really say:

Download the latest LTS version of Node.js from the official Node.js home page.

(e.g. no version number) Which is correct.

I didn't know that. What about MacOS? That, strictly, is BSD based I think.

Anyway, we are really down in the weeds and a long way off the original question I think.

It would indeed be great if someone could create a nice script for Windows.

PS:

Debian:

sudo apt install nodejs
npm install node-red -g --unsafe-perm --production

Windows:

winget install OpenJS.NodeJS.LTS
npm install node-red -g --unsafe-perm --production

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.