Publishing dashboard

Hi guys. I have just completed my functionality, and i will like to publish my dashboard in a web server and control the access with user and password . Is this possible?

Thank you all

Yes is it possible. Take a look at these forums.... Lots of help...
https://discourse.nodered.org/search?q=dashboard%20password

1 Like

Password is possible. Single user only however.

Yeah i have read that if you modify the settings.js you can protect the dashboard with an user and password, but i dont know if this will stay when i publish my dashboard on the internet or not

Opening node-red to the internet is not recommended unless you know what you are doing.
Here is a long read about how to secure your node-red instance.

It may be a lot safer and easier to install a vpn server and connect to your node-red instance over the vpn connection.

But could i connect to my dashboard from other red? I mean 50 kilometres away. If i install vpn other users could access to the dashboard?

If i install vpn other users could access to the dashboard?

Yes, however, the device you use to connect to node red will require a vpn client to connect.

Ok, that´s true. So i need to know how to install a vpn server on mi rpi. After that, how publish my dashboard on the vpn server and how protect it ? Im looking for solutions but i dont find nothing, all old posts and different set ups

In fact, not in my rpi. I should use vpn on my personal computer because i have node-red on my personal computer.

Ok so there is no "simple" way to do this, as security usually isn't simple.

You can setup a vpn server on any device in your network as the idea is that you can access your local network over the vpn tunnel.

Here is a comprehensive guide for a raspberry pi.

Ok lets imagine i have the vpn server on my personal computer. How can i put the node-red dashboard into it ? Im new on this tecnlogoy sry if i seem to be stupid jajaja

The dashboard sits on a url in the browser, lets say: http://192.168.1.20:1880/ui/.

When you are connected over the vpn tunnel, you can connect to the same address in the browser (as you were in your local network).

Ok so a man who is 50 km away from me, knowing the address and the security (because i imagine you can protect the vpn server) can access to the dashboard info.

To connect to the vpn server you need to have a ssl certificate that encrypts the data that goes over the internet toward your network (as explained in the guide linked above)

So, in your tutorial, when i have to define the static IP, i write the ip where i have my dashboard?

The static ip of the device where you install the openvpn server

Ok i have just understand all but i have a doubt. How the client in his mobile phone is going to have the OVPN file? If he doesnt have it, i would not be able to connect to the vpn. Thank you for your time, you are helping me a lot!

Yes everyone who wants to connect needs a openvpn client, the ovpn file can be opened with the openvpn client. Those clients exists on all platforms.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.