Raspberry Pi 4 Model B + Raspbian Buster

What a surprise. I was getting ready to prepare an SD card with Raspian Stretch and found out that Raspian already moved to version 10, Raspian Buster. Also, found out that Raspberry PI version 4 has been released!

Does anyone know if this new model is already on sale?

Edit:

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B

Here are the highlights:

• A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU ( ~3 × performance )
  • 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM
  • Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports
  • Dual monitor support , at resolutions up to 4K
  • VideoCore VI graphics, supporting OpenGL ES 3.x
  • 4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video
  • Complete compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products
1 Like

It was on sale from today in the UK but the supplier I use had already run out of 1Gb models :frowning:

2 Likes

Also a surprise for me. I see here that it is already available in one of my favorite stores, although the number of items is currently limited. Seems there are two versions available:

Downside -- need new USB C power supply and mini HDMI cable.

I worry more at the moment about software compatibility, the USB3 and faster CPU is only useful to me if Buster doesn't break the OpenVINO and Coral TPU libraries.

In the US, MicroCenter has announcd they will have them, but none it stock at the moment.

I will of course get one and hope for the best in terms of software compatibility.

Woke up this morning and saw they were on sale, 4GB backordered already for most of the US resellers...ordered one through Newark.

On monday this little creature will arrive, couldn't resist it :wink:
Look at the specs & benchmarks in the link below, now we are talking!
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-with-4gbyte-ram/
Been running the Odroid XU4 for a time without a glitch, so fast and nice. Anyway, more topic related, new faster versions of the Pi is always welcome, "a computer can never be too fast"

A bit OT then: with my python routine using OpenCV DNN analyze for object detection, there is a nice performance improvement with the N2 compared with the XU4. The same analyze of the same picture only takes 0.30 seconds compared to 1.17 in the XU4. Besides, the N2 stays nice and cool. Well designed and really runs fast. In both of them I use eMMC

2 Likes

Does any know what the logic voltage is on the gpio pins, was hoping that it is 5v instead of 3.3v

I've not see anything say it has been changed as that would be a major incompatibility with existing HATs and add-ons. So assume 3.3v

Interesting note on the website:

Your tiny, dual-display, desktop computer

That's two 4K displays. The cpu clock has gotten only a small bump, but USB 3 external storage and 4GB RAM could boost performance. I'm waiting to see some benchmarks.

The Pi was always intended as a gateway drug for beginning programmers, but this could get to be a platform for some kinds of serious development.

It is the same as backward compatibility for the GPIO header is critical for them.

Only at 30khz which is pretty unusable for most things. You can only have 1 if you want the more standard 60kHz.

Oh, I think we ALL want want :slight_smile: I certainly will be ordering one. It should make for a fabulous home automation/home server platform for Node-RED !! It might even become my next NAS with the addition of some hardware for proper disks. Even if not, 4GB will give a much nicer experience with database engines.

They are out there already.

But the CPU has twice the channels so easily outperforms a Pi3 by quite a margin.

1 Like

I picked up a 1GB model and the "official power supply at MicroCenter this morning. (US, in store only, but I used their on-line reservation and 18-minute in-store pick-up option).

Other models are supposed to be in stock on Friday. The mini-HDMI cables were not in stock, but fortunately the one from my Beaglebone Black seems to fit. Flashing the SD card now.

If it works for Coral and/or NCS2 OpenVINO AI sticks I'll grab the 4GB model when its available.

USB3 and "real" GigE will probably be the big wins for me assuming the move to Buster (Debian 10) doesn't break everything I use.

Smooth boot-up, seems to be a lot of updates to download and install already! My image was dated 2019-06-20.

It looks like they have not moved to 64-bit OS yet,
uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.19.50-v7l+ #895 SMP Thu Jun 20 16:03:42 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

No joy for me, the Buster default Python3.7 seems to break the Coral and OpenVINO installs.
I suspect I can fix it like I did on the Odroid XU-4 Mate18 by "side loading" Python 3.5 in a virtual environment. More than I can bite off this afternoon :frowning:

For the Odroid I was much happier "down grading" to Mate16 -- my AI frame rates were ~8-12% better.

1 Like

They will not move to 64-bit until there is a compelling reason. see Buster - the new version of Raspbian - Raspberry Pi

1 Like

You are of course free to run ubuntu 64 bit on it if you wish....
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/18.04/release/
(though they haven't released a Pi4 version yet.... )

I'm very happy to hear that, I fail to see any reason for 64-bit code on systems without more than 4GB of RAM.

I mentioned it because I'd "heard" a rumor that it had been done.

I've been less than thrilled with Ubuntu 18.04, rolling systems I've tried it on back to 16.04

Later I'm going to plug it into one of my 4K displays just for grins, but I suspect the folks that use the Pi for LibreELEC Kodi media player will really like this if the up-scaling is decent. When I get a second mini-HDMI cable I'll try dual 4K :slight_smile:

Playing around a bit, it seems competitive in web performance with a low-end Chromebook for basic web surfing.

Just for grins I tried one of my 4K displays. It worked, but I could only get 4K30p despite enabling 4K60p in the configuration program and rebooting. I didn't put anymore effort into it that this.

Took about 6 seconds to launch Chromium the first time. You Tube played HD fine, but with a few pauses, especially if I opened another application while it was playing.

Tests with the Coral TPU are getting about 30 fps where as the Pi3B+ was getting ~7 (USB webcam, PyImageSearch Coral TPU tutorial code). My XU-4 gets ~20 fps on this test, the Jetson Nano ~44 fps.

I had to hack the Coral install script to change Raspbian 9 into 10 and then make a few symlinks afterwards to get it going.

Major issue for me right now is rtsp decoding in OpenCV -- the warnings seem gone (were so bad I have to launch as 2>/dev/null to read my status messages) but performance is terrible. I'm investigating. I used the OpenVINO OpenCV (for the Pi3B+) so this would be the first place I'd look as it may need to be recompiled. OpenVINO has recently been open sourced, so I've a place to start.

2 Likes

Hi All,
Pi4 looks impressive for price. What I want to know is if there is any practical advantage to use pi4 vs say pi 3+. The 2xk display capability seem to be a big thing, how is this used with NR to an advantage? Would Pi 4 run noticeable faster with NR? Can we perhaps run more Tabs?
Cheers,
Ken
Ken

It has a faster processor and more memory. That's going to benefit pretty much any application you want to run on it, Node-RED or otherwise.

1 Like

And the usb and Ethernet are now separated so the io should be much more capable as well.

Yes Dave, a long overdue upgrade!

....every time a new Pi is released - I just can't help but upgrade!
My drawer is slowly filling up with last year's latest version, which is pretty sad.
I must find a use for them...

2 Likes