Raspberry Pi 4+

Dave, I don't think the pi4 can boot from USB yet!

Hi Garry,
Well it's a sort of fudge - the RPi-4 boots off of the SD card then uses the SSD for its main work.

Here's a link to the instructions I followed to get my two original RPi-4Bs with 1GB of RAM working off of SSDs.

https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/blog/2019/08/30/quick-sd-to-ssd-on-the-pi-4

I intend to use this link to get my latest RPi-4B (running manjaro) to 'talk' to a SSD.

4 Likes

I've had my wife running Linux at home since Windows 8 came out, She uses Windows at work (currently Windows 10). To be honest I'm not sure she is aware of the difference. She uses "work apps" at work and "home apps" at home. The differences between Windows 7 and Ubuntu-Mate weren't any more jarring to her than were the differences between Windows 7, 8, and 10 at work over the years.

Yes, this is true for many "real" people (e.g. not like us :grinning:) who probably mainly use the browser for just about everything.

Though Linux printing also used to be a pain, not sure if it has improved any since I very rarely print anything these days. There used to be a significant difference between printing to the same printer on Windows and Linux. Indeed, one of the few pieces of software I actually purchased for Linux was a commercial print driver. Nothing more annoying than printing something edited on Windows only to find that the margins are all different. Hopefully that isn't an issue these days?

I mentioned Mint before and I seem to remember that was their original selling point, that the default interface was designed to be as familiar as possible to Windows users.

That is correct, but you can edit the startup file so root and everything after bootup in on the USB drive. Still will get the speedup and reliability improvements since the SD card is read only during boot up.

Thanks that answers my concern. The latest version of Coral TPU runtime only officially supports Python 3.5, 3.6, & 3,7 so having 3.8 right now would be a liability for me. The newest TPU runtime seems to have added Windows 10 support.

Good Morning. folks
I would like to know if someone running raspberry pi 4, on android .. sorry maybe here is not the right topic but if someone can help me I need to run android

thanks

Try here:

@ghayne

Thanks friend ... but will it work on rasp 4?

I run the Pimoroni FanShim on one of my Raspberry Pi4B Node-RED projects now. Communicating with 5 i2c devices (4 sensors - 1 relay board), performing control, graphing, and have a dashboard ui running on the official 7" LCD touch monitor. (I also have a keyboard/mouse hooked up). I do real time display of temp on another tab of the dashboard ui. I NEVER see temps higher than 55 and then it's only on initial startup for 1 or 2 duty cycles (I modified the script for 5 second duty cycles). Usually I hover around 48-50degC. Granted... my CPU sees a burst to about 40% on startup of the node-RED app... but spends allot of time between 1 - 15%. So, I'm hardly pushing anything.... I also only look at my sensors once every 5 seconds as they are measuring processes that are slow to change.

I just don't see any of these 'overheating' woes. I've overclocked the CPU to 2.0Ghz and the GPU to 667Mhz. I have a somewhat large T3-Tentacle i2c shield installed, so the fan is having to move trapped air around that.... and yet it all works very well.

I've been very impressed with the 4B. I have two of them that are early releases, so they suffer from the HDMI-WiFi interference issue.... However, I am running the official 7" 800x480 touch lcd and am direct wired to Ethernet, so those aren't issues for me.... I've run it on the WiFi as well... and it was perfect with the officlal LCD...

2 Likes

Someday, it would be so awesome to be offered a RaspberryPi4B+ (plus is my addition) that offered 32GB of bootable onboard eMMC. Keep the SD card for initial installs, transfers and backups... :slight_smile: There I go dreaming again.

1 Like

Is there I way I can test for this issue? I'm currently using HDMI + wired ethernet, but plan to use Wifi in the future.

Just use a USB adaptor + SSD, a far better solution than eMMC, unless you are short of physical space fot the Pi :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At present you can't boot from a USB connected device. You can use it, just cannot boot from it.

Or you actually need to use two USB3 ports. Setting the Pi case on top of the SSD doesn't change the footprint all that much, But adding a HUB sure does. I sure hope the next Pi update included eEMC. Check out how its done on the Odroid XU-4 to see how much nicer it could be be