Raspi 3 won't install node red

Sorry -about repeating the question - I think our post are passing each other :slight_smile:

@Colin Colin, log posted few posts above, can't post it directly here - won't let me.

@cymplecy it's Pi3B, not +, and yes, posts are passing each others :slight_smile:

Running bash script now - straight from 1st logon

@cymplecy I've got to install node red core bit.

That is the script from the nodered website that you said you have run

Worked fine for me.

So its either
Dodgy download
Dodgy Sd card
Dodgy Pi (very unlikely)
Build-essentials install causing the problem
apt get/update/grade causing the problem
etc etc
I'd start again and see what happens - I def wouldn't do the upgrade/update but up to you if you want to run the build essentials

I only use full raspbian myself normally so no experience with that bit

Don't know what you mean by that
(Do now thanks to Dave)

1 Like

This thread has got a bit confused. Is it ok this time? If not, what is happening.

@cymplecy @Colin

guys - 20 posts a day newbie limit :confused: apologies for lack of responses!!!

i was at work in the morning so not best to time to type, what I meant was that I got to the bit 'Install Node-RED core' bit - one pointed out by dceejay.

I am currently trying to install nodered clean install again, after downloading another zip file of stretch-lite.

Will keep you posted.

1 Like

This is what I do...

OK, I am a newbie here, so I probably missed something.

Why are you using Stretch Lite?

Just flash Stretch (full version) - it already has Node-Red installed.

I've learnt to never ask people THAT question :slight_smile:

See Node-RED no longer installed in Rasbian by default?

I use Lite as I don't want the overheads of a GUI running on the pi, plus the much greater amount of SD card space the system requires. Most of my Pis have never had keyboard, mouse or display connected. They are not necessary for setting up the system or running node red, mosquitto etc.

2 Likes

@SteveMann for that reason that Colin says - it's just a light headless setup with no peripherals connected.

As to my story with installing node red on pi - it's still a fail. I'm going to order pi zero w and new sd card, check it again.

For test purposes I have setup vm with Jessie desktop, and believe me or not, first installation halted for whole night, so I've interrupted it and started installation again and node red installed in minutes.

So now that I can see it working got even more impatient to have it on my pi :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for your help!

That is very odd, for me installing on a zero doesn't stop for more than five or ten minutes at a time, as far as I remember.
Is it possibly you have some sort of networking/internet issue if you are seeing hangs on multiple devices?

Hi Colin, it's just one device - raspi 3b - but two memory cards.

It eventually installed on vm.

As far as I know, got no issues with my network.

Could be that both cards are corrupted?

Don't know.

I forgot to mention insufficient/dodgy power supply as possible cause

PS Just a little warning that if you get you PiZero up and running - NodeRED is one of a small selection of programs that doesn't survive being swapped to/from a Pi3 from a PiZero so you can't swap them around

Could be both are fake (e.g not the stated GB) - been caught out with that before now

Use H2testw herunterladen | heise Download to test them out (On Windows)