Recurring "The flows on the server have been updated" message

Ok, seems my Chrome Browser is locked down due to a work/management configuration. I do not even have a View menu option ?

Is there another way to check - I can right click and select ‘Inspect’ ?

What I can share is the log information

7 Aug 17:57:06 - [debug] loaded flow revision: c2e586b3e5ff5ad8c7ca0592107fee01

If you can 'inspect' then you should be able to switch to the console tab of the developer tools window it opens.

Yah - here it is !!

RED.nodes.version()

"c2e586b3e5ff5ad8c7ca0592107fee01"

When I hit the refresh and get the prompt - I see this..

OK, now after refreshing the browser and getting the update on server message I see this a different flow version ?

And now its back to the original one again

The log shows the two versions

In one of your screenshots it shows an error message with POST 409 Conflict - does that happen whenever you open the editor?

You logs show the flows stopping and starting - is that something you are doing? Are you deploying changes manually?

I can't seem to recreate that again at the moment..

All I'm doing is either hitting Deploy or doing a browser refresh ?

OK, I can recreate that Post error. here you go

If I choose ignore, then move a node, and hit deploy - I get the error again.

If I choose merge, I have to hit deploy again, but it's then successfull - but the flow version changes

Update of the logs

Every time you hit deploy you are changing things. It is adding noise to the logs for the issue we are trying to focus on. The 409 is a normal 'error' when you hit deploy but your flows are out of date.

Please follow the steps I described:

1. Restart Node-RED and note the logged flow revision.
  2. Reload the editor. Do you get the notification? Do not click on any button. Get the node version from the console.

FWIW,

I had a similar problem recently and tracked it down to the 'node-red-harmony-websocket' node I had installed. Removed the node and all has been OK since.

Colin

Interesting, but I have the 'node-red-harmony-websocket' working on another NR instance - and I don't see this same issue.

Check (done)

• ran node-red-stop
  • closed browser tab
  • ran node-red-start
  • screenshot below of start up/log - showing loaded flow revision

• Loaded NR editor into a new browser tab, no error/notification seen
  • Typed in "RED.nodes.version()" into the console (via Inspect) - screensnippet below

Both report the same version/number

If both are the same, and you don't get the notification, then everything is working and sharing screenshots of it working are not that helpful.

I thought you said you got the notification every time you opened the editor.

So what we need is a precise set of steps you take that leads you to hitting the notification.

Not the opening, it's appears during deployment and/or browser refreshes (mainly the latter)

OK, as I've not done anything since the above post - these steps give me the flows on server message.

1. A browser refresh now (with nothing deployed) = no message
  2. Move a node slightly to a different location to bring up the Deploy option, hit deploy - "change successful" no other message
  3. Do a browser refresh - I get the message come up. "The flows on the server have been updated"
  4. The flow versions in the log and the browser console are the same (different from earlier, but the same as I had done a deploy_
  5. If I select do a review, it says "The server is running a more recent set of flows"
  6. Going into "Review Changes" - everything listed is "unchanged"

I then choose "Merge" it returns me to the editor again.

If I then do a browser fresh again, it get the same message that the "flows on the server have been updated" message again

What does the RED.nodes.version() command return after the Deploy but before your reload the editor?

OK, not doing anything more (other than where I got to in the steps shared above) every browser refresh I do will give me this error.

I'm going to stop-start NR again - so I can do a browser refresh where no messages come up and then I'll try what you;ve asked

Ok, NR restarted..

FYI - After a restart I can referesh the the NR config page on the browser as many times as I like - no message comes up.

• Checking the flow revisions - they are the same (in the log and via the console)
  • Just moved a node slightly to a different location to bring up the Deploy option, hit deploy - "change successful" no other message
  • A new "saved flow revision" is recorded in the log
  • The version reported via the console in the browser has not changed, it is still the earlier one.

So the log and the console versions are different....