Sending e-mail using OAuth 2.0

I'm using node-red-node-email to send e-mail, and just received this notice from Google:

On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. Learn more

I recall them saying this a couple of years ago, but they never followed through. If they do this, what do folks suggest?

I have received the same mail!
My plan is to use : node-red-contrib-google-oauth2.
I did not yet succeed, but I found this video explaining the 3 steps of OAut2 with google API in general. It may help.

This is a massive breaking change.

Move to another email provider.

Reading their documentation, they also have 'app passwords' which are excluded from oauth2, perhaps this is a solution.

@mharmouche Thank you. I'll take a look at that.

@bakman2 Moving to another provider was my first thought. I haven't done any research yet. Any suggestions?

A quick Google search, suggests getting a free Email account at outlook.com

GMX mail looks pretty good too.

My needs are simply sending short messages with a photo attachment from my AI security system to the Email to MMS gateway of our cellphone provider. The advantage of this is I don't need to teach my wife how to use anything or install something on her phone as I'd need to do with Telegram.

Since I already have an outlook.com account, i tried the email node with Outlook.com and it does not seem to be working?

UPDATE: I had a typo :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: in the email address and after correcting it, this does work

Here are the settings that worked:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.