Start NodeRed Dashboard UI in Chrome on Windows to RaspberryPi Official Display Size

Long title, but probably a common problem with those of us developing Dashboards UI in Chrome on Windows with Generously sized Monitors, where we intend to run the Dashboard UI on the Raspberry Pi Official Touch LCD that has a resolution of 800x480.

Sometimes I make changes to a dashboard while developing, and I don't want to run over to my Raspberry Pi Display and check it out (it's in another room). Or I want to try out a differnt project.. and I don't have a spare Pi or Touch LCD at that moment... In that instance, it's advantageous to open up the UI page in a browser session that is the size of the 800x480 Raspberry Pi Official Touch LCD.

So, I created a Windows 10 Desktop Shortcut that will launch your UI in Chrome at that Resolution:

Here is what you need to type in the Target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --chrome-frame --user-data-dir="C:\Users\YOURUSERDIRECTORY\Desktop\tmp-chrome" --window-size=800,480 --app=http://YOURIPADDRESS:1880/ui

This is what you need to type in the Start In:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application"

Obviously you have to supply your own actual user directory on your windows PC... and the IPAddress of where your NODERED Dashboard is running..

Works great.. now there is no guessing about how it will appear when deployed to the RPi and Official TouchLCD.

I hope this little tip is useful to some of you out there... Of course.. you can use this to determine how your dashboard will render on a variety of resolutions, just by changing the x,y values in the shortcut link.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.