Subcategories in the node palette

Hello everyone, how are you doing?
I have been developing nodes for Node-RED for quite some time, specifically since version 1.0.

At my company, we developed a complete chatbot for WhatsApp and other communicators entirely using Node-RED, with custom-created nodes.

As a result, the node palette ends up being somewhat disorganized with only one category. With this in mind, I started implementing a category system for the nodes. With this change, when creating a node, you can pass not only the category attribute but also another attribute called subCategory. This way, Node-RED will build nested dropdowns in the node palette according to the categories, greatly facilitating the work of those who use many nodes.

What do you think?

5 Likes

:raised_hand: I would also love this for organising the Dashboard nodes

1 Like

Hi @rafafrecceiro

It has been something that has come up a small number of times over the years; but it has never translated into anything other than a high level idea. And it hasn't been compelling enough for me to spend my time on.

If you have a more concrete proposal over how it would work; ie how the categories are defined in a backwards compatible way, how the UI presents the categories etc, then please do share.

Nick

If someone has the time to create the containers for the parent category and the child category, that would help me to move forward :pray: