Toshiba Inverter mooring engine Control

Hi, new in this word and trying to approach the automation word.
I just started an automation project on a yacht, and it's quite difficult, i think i will use node red with signal k.
The system will control all the electronic and mechanicals system on board.
I started with the mooring/propulsion systems; this system in composed by a diesel motor that will be not used in the mooring operation and 3 big 400v AC three-phase motor (one is the bow truster and the others two are for propultion, one on the left and one on the right), this engines are controlled by 3 Toshiba tosvert VF-S15 (now drived by 3 MITOS VT6 controllers using rs485).
The inverter can communicate also by:
CC-Link, Profibus DP, DeviceNet, EtherNet/TCP IP-Modbus, EtherCAT, CANopen.
The goal it's to have a graphic interface were i can control the inverters changing the freguency and also see the actual working frequency (like the mitos vt6), then i will use a joystick but for the moment this is the first step.
Thank you for your help, im really appreciating.

Hi,

While it is POSSIBLE to control physical devices using the RS485 interface first I'd ask if this is a life / safety-critical system?

I'm asking: if something goes wrong with those (pretty powerful) control systems could someone get hurt or die?

Secondarily: is there any chance of sending 'conflicting' instructions to the device and having it fail or rendering it inoperative. Overheat. etc.

I'd design this for redundancy and have hardwired physical controls that prevent catastrophic failure modes.

On to the positive: one recent control: node-red-contrib-ui-joystick looks very interesting to me. I'd love to figure out the logic where you could use a touch-screen and essentially point to how you want the boat to move. Bow thrusters give you the cool ability to rotate on the long axis which would make docking simpler.

Plus some cool charting: node-red-contrib-web-worldmap including history, speed, direction etc.

node-red-contrib-serialport-rs485 lets you talk to the inverters which should allow you to control those three motors.

I think I'd wire it so that all node-red systems are secondary or optional so that they can be easily bypassed without loss of functionality and use node-red to enhance and help.

Please let us know how things go.

I'm envious - this sounds like an awesome project!

Cheers,

Paul

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.