Total meltdown - All Node-red work lost

I'm on it - I'll try docker - I think originally I found it wouldn't work on my Synology ds 213j...My Synology is Linux - I'm going to keep at this - I want to use node-red, I want to have complete flexibility and I have only just started deploying sonoffs and blitzwolf and wifi plugs. I think docker only works on certain processors (can't remember) - I'll try it. Thanks

Steve-Mcl - found this on reddit - it's 10yrs old so maybe things have changed - still worth a try!

Hi Jonoffun,

One other thing you might want to consider is to purchase a Raspberry Pi.

I know - a different / new machine. But it will act much more like what you are used to: plug in a keyboard / mouse / monitor that you already have, create your flows, watch them run. No need to use Docker / SSH / Synology shell sessions, remember different IP address etc. Cheap to purchase, very small (about the footprint of a credit card), reliable and silent. Get 2GB RAM or more + heatsinks and you will enjoy the experience. Runs even complex node-red projects very smoothly.

It is made to 'talk' to all of the typical home automation devices and protocols.

Once it is all debugged you simply remove or turn off the monitor and it sits their, silently, doing your bidding. The workflow of how you create, interact, build is much simpler and smoother. It is very well-suited to home automation.

Perhaps once you are satisfied with a flow working well on a Raspberry Pi THEN deploy it to the Synology and consider that a 'push to production'.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,

I think you are right. I had a go today at loading node-red onto a VirtualBox version of Pi, failed...had a go at downloading docker for my Windows PC - failed. Then I got distracted by some webdesign work - making some sourdough bread (as you do these days) . I've got openHAB working - going to switch over all the unhacked stuff and replace them with Tasmota kit - BUT I want Node-Red. I think the thing that frustrates me is that node-red has been around some time, and it still relies on the goodwill of a small community to help one another out. If you think of the risk of all the IoT going via China - you would think EU governments would ensure Tasmota and Node-Red would be mainstreamed, It is all still sticking plaster, a good reliable package deployment is essential. I have followed line by line installation instructions - and they just do not work - or to be fair - they are not fool proof. I had Node-Red working perfectly for 3mths - then it just broke and I have spent almost a full week trying to get it working again. I can load it - create flows - but I am making a fundamental stupid error with the MQTT connection. I'll buy a Pi - 4gb for Ā£55 or so as you suggest. It's always nice to have a new toy.

Keep safe - thanks

J

and they just do not work

They do work, if you use the correct OS. The install script works for debian based systems.

Upgrade the nodejs package on your synology, you can do that via package center by means of removing the v8 version and installing the v10 or v12.

Bakman2,
Thanks. I will retry. As you mentioned I do not have the correct Windows 10 version - I have Windows Home. The Pi version maybe didn't work because it is a pi inside VB with different hardware to the build requirements.

I've managed to write Rules for Tasmota and patch my system timers that way, and I am exploring http messages and openHAB functionality - I need to improve my UI before I install any more sonoffs etc. So one problem has led to learning some new concepts. It's all good fun.

J

I am talking about your Synology

Just an FYI - While I donā€™t have a Synology NAS, I do have a QNAP, and I run my instance of Node Red within a Debian 10 VM (via QNAPā€™s - Virtualisation Station ) - this works well for me, so maybe something to consider..

Been there myself recently.

I lost a couple of years work a while back.

I am using a NUC rather than a RasPie, but the idea is the same.

This is a little "backup" script I made:

(You will have to edit some paths and stuff... But I hope this helps.)

#!/bin/bash
# ---------------------------------------
# Simple backup script v1.0
# ---------------------------------------

# Variables
myDate=`date "+%Y-%m-%d.%H.%M.%S"`
#backupFolderName="Backup_$myDate"
backupFolderName="$myDate"
backupSource="/home/me/.node-red"
backupDest="/home/me/Backups/NR/LOCAL"
backupFilter="*.j*"
backupExclude="lost\+found"

# Tell the user what we're working with
echo "The myDate variable contains: $myDate"
echo "A backup of $backupSource/$backupFilter will be made and stored in $backupDest/$backupFolderName"

# Begin backup
rsync -avz --progress $backupSource/$backupFilter --exclude=$backupExclude $backupDest/$backupFolderName
#RC = $?

# We're done.
echo "Done!"
exit  $RC

This is a bash script.

I run it now and then when I am doing big changes or it feels like a good time to do a backup.

jonoffun, Have a look at the blog of Peter Scargill, tech.scargill.net, amongst other stuff he, and others, have developed a 'script' to load node-RED and a ton of other stuff onto Raspberry Pi. The script is well developed and proven. One can select what particular parts of the script are used. There is also a ton of stuff on Tasmota. If you want to move up from a RPi I highly recommend an Intel NUC 6CAYH with 8Gb ram and 120 Gb SSD the cost would be about Ā£160.00.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.