Trigger node and msg.payload in debug node

Could someone tell me if I am missing something.

The debug node has an option for output to be put at/on the node similar to the node.warn() command in the function node.

For the sake of being able to check myself I added a trigger node and a debug node to the output of an inject node set to repeat.

Granted the trigger node would suffice with the nice blue dot, but I decided to stick a debug node there and tick the button to get the message below the node too.

This is the "flow" (cut down version)

[{"id":"9f5332ad.2d8c6","type":"inject","z":"cb1ffcc6.d23ba8","name":"WAP scan","topic":"","payload":"1","payloadType":"num","repeat":"60","crontab":"","once":true,"onceDelay":"300","x":160,"y":2150,"wires":[["650fb371.4a3b04"]]},{"id":"650fb371.4a3b04","type":"trigger","z":"cb1ffcc6.d23ba8","op1":"1","op2":"0","op1type":"str","op2type":"str","duration":"1","extend":false,"units":"s","reset":"","bytopic":"all","name":"","x":340,"y":2150,"wires":[["31ed7d8f.cd836a"]]},{"id":"31ed7d8f.cd836a","type":"debug","z":"cb1ffcc6.d23ba8","name":"WiFi Scan polling","active":false,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":true,"complete":"payload","x":560,"y":2150,"wires":[]}]

It isn't rocket science.

Problem:
The debug node doesn't reflect the input.

The trigger node detects an input. Sends a 1 then after 1 second sends a 0

As said: The trigger node is a good enough indication, but ...... I stuck a debug node there for the fun of it.

See attached.
Screenshot%20from%202019-02-10%2008-24-01

So the debug node is set to display the message as node status.
I press the inject node.
the trigger node is triggered.
Yet, the debug node isn't seeing the 1.

I am probably doing something wrong. But for the sake of getting it out there and maybe stopping others falling for this mistake....

Am I doing anything wrong?
Other things to note:
Granted this was on my overworked RPI.
I copied it and put it on the NUC (massively powered) and it does the same.
So it can't be blamed on the RPI not having time to do it.

Hi @Trying_to_learn

you have the Debug node deactivated - its button on the right-hand edge is 'in'.

In 0.19.5 that stops all output from the node in the editor - both the debug sidebar and status.

In 0.20.0 we have changed that behaviour so deactivating the node will only mute the debug sidebar - the status will continue to update as you expect.

ARGH. I can't believe I missed that.

Extreme apologies.

I shall maybe have to get around to updating. But with all the other monsters I am not sure it will be of benefit or just re-arrange the monsters to other positions.
(No offence.)

Right now, 0.20 is still in beta. I'd suggest you hold off any thought of upgrading to it until we do the full release later this month.

2 Likes

Maybe I should.

I will probably find too many problems with it that will be more my contusion than problems.
And the last thing you need are false positives.

1 Like