Trouble with GrovePi and NodeRed - driving me crazy please help!

Hello all. I am running Raspbian for Robots on a raspberry pi model 2. After hours of trying I somehow was able to install "node-red-contrib-grovepi". However now that I have installed it I can not find any nodes anywhere. All tutorials show different results where they immediately see multiple grovepi nodes. I only see one purple grove node called 'grove'. What do I do? When I install the other grovepi nodes it gives me this error :

../buffertools.cc:436:3: warning: ‘void {anonymous}::IndexOf(const v8::FunctionCallbackInfo<v8::Value>&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 V(IndexOf)
   ^
../buffertools.cc:55:10: note: in definition of macro ‘UNI_FUNCTION_CALLBACK’
     void name(const v8::FunctionCallbackInfo<v8::Value>& args)
          ^~~~
../buffertools.cc:436:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘V’
 V(IndexOf)
 ^
../buffertools.cc:435:3: warning: ‘void {anonymous}::FromHex(const v8::FunctionCallbackInfo<v8::Value>&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 V(FromHex)
   ^
          ^~~~
../buffertools.cc:435:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘V’
 V(FromHex)
 ^
../buffertools.cc:434:3: warning: ‘void {anonymous}::Fill(const v8::FunctionCallbackInfo<v8::Value>&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 V(Fill)
   ^
          ^~~~
../buffertools.cc:434:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘V’
 V(Fill)
 ^
../buffertools.cc:433:3: warning: ‘void {anonymous}::Equals(const v8::FunctionCallbackInfo<v8::Value>&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 V(Equals)
   ^
          ^~~~
../buffertools.cc:433:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘V’
 V(Equals)
 ^
../buffertools.cc:432:3: warning: ‘void {anonymous}::Compare(const v8::FunctionCallbackInfo<v8::Value>&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 V(Compare)
   ^
          ^~~~
../buffertools.cc:432:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘V’
 V(Compare)
 ^
../buffertools.cc:431:3: warning: ‘void {anonymous}::Clear(const v8::FunctionCallbackInfo<v8::Value>&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 V(Clear)
   ^
          ^~~~
../buffertools.cc:431:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘V’
 V(Clear)
 ^
make: *** [Release/obj.target/buffertools/buffertools.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:400:28)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:282:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.14.98-v7+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/buffertools
gyp ERR! node -v v14.19.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! buffertools@2.1.6 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the buffertools@2.1.6 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2022-03-01T22_08_56_527Z-debug.log
1 Mar 22:08:56 - [warn] ------------------------------------------
Error: Install failed
    at /usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/node_modules/@node-red/registry/lib/installer.js:285:25
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:95:5)
1 Mar 22:08:56 - [error] Error: Install failed

It looks like that node is not compatible with current versions of nodejs. It won't install for me either (with nodejs 16, you are using 14). The node has not been updated for four years, so that is maybe not surprising. You could try posting an issue on the node's github page and it may be that the author will fix it.

This previous post here suggests that downgrading to nodejs 10 will allow it to install, but you will not be able to run the latest node-red with less than v12 so that is probably not a viable option.

Thank you for your reply. Would it be possible to downgrade my nodejs version? I’ve already tried to do that with no success but maybe I picked the wrong version.

Ah I see. So it’s basically not possible? I see that this node gets 60 downloads a week does that mean all those 60 downloads don’t work?

There are many using obsolete versions of nodejs so some may work.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.