Troubles with node-red on Elementary OS involving Dashboard

All, I'm new to node-red, and I'm somewhat new to linux, as I am diving into it for IoT, and amateur radio.

I have an older hp laptop running elementary os.
I initially installed node-red via snap. I had to work a few issues as it did not install npm initially.
I installed npm and nodejs, node red works fine - but when i went to add the node-red-dashboard modeule - it fails to install. I ended up removing node-red through snap. I installed from command prompt with global switch. Went to node-red to manage node library and again - could not install dashboard. I then tried using npm - and installed that way. it lists it as installed, but doesn't show up in node-red. I'm stuck and have no idea how to proceed or even describe the issue.

Is there a reason you are using Elementary rather than, for example, Ubuntu? Not that there is anything wrong with it but you might find it easier to get help with a more popular OS.

Start node red in a terminal and paste the log output here please, that will tell us a lot about your environment. Use the </> button at the top of the forum entry window when pasting it in.

just for fun I downloaded the v5 version of ElementaryOS and fired up a VM. It seems to be based on the old Ubuntu 18.04 version - so after updating to latest packages I just ran our standard Debian/Ubuntu/Pi installer script and it just worked... fired up the epiphany browser - the workspace loaded ok - and so did installing dashboard nodes...

I'm not on my machine at the moment (at work), but it does show dashboard loading from the command prompt. I'm using elementary OS just to try out - as I'm on an old HP dv9000 series laptop. celeron dual core with only 2gb ram. give you an idea of age - it has an HD DVD drive - the beta max of high def. made the old hardware usable again. It's convenient for writing arduino code, and playing around with iot stuff.

Great! that's good news. Yes, it is on the 18.04 ubuntu kernel... so I will try the pi script tonight and see if I have better luck. Is there a good way to clean off what's there before I load up the script - or will the script do that for me? I know a few commands in linux, but still learning. thanks for the tips!

Is that a 32 bit processor? I am not sure if the script will work with that. @dceejay?

If it does work then generally it will sort everything out for you.

it's 64-bit ..

Are there any known issues with the chromium browser or chrome? I'll make sure to try the script and run epiphany first.

Generally chrome works well. I didn’t try it on elementary. I just used epiphany as it was already there.

ok, I'm now on the laptop where I'm trying to do this. I have no idea where to find the log file, but here's what I do know. I ran the pi script you suggested. from the command prompt - typing node-red
9 Nov 16:44:30 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.2.3
9 Nov 16:44:30 - [info] Node.js version: v12.19.0
9 Nov 16:44:30 - [info] Linux 5.4.0-52-generic x64 LE
9 Nov 16:44:30 - [info] Loading palette nodes
9 Nov 16:44:31 - [info] Dashboard version 2.23.5 started at /ui
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry Pi specific node set inactive
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [info] Settings file : /home/troy/.node-red/settings.js
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [info] Context store : 'default' [module=memory]
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [info] User directory : /home/troy/.node-red
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [info] Flows file : /home/troy/.node-red/flows_Enterprise.json
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [info] Creating new flow file
9 Nov 16:44:32 - [warn]
I get an error - port in use at the bottom. but the service runs at boot up.
it shows dashboard, but I have no dashbaord tab on the development side.
and there is no localhost:1818/ui/ page ... it comes up not found.

what information do you need and how do I find it, and I will gladly reply.

thank you-

I'm sure that is just a typo but it is normally :1880

correction, localhost:1880/ui/ give page not found error.
node-red environment shows version 0.16.2 and I only see the debug and info tabs.
if I go to pallette manager and try to load node-red-dashboard it errors and says see log.

That means node red was already running and you were starting another instance.
The ui URL doesn't exist until you install node red dashboard and create a flow with some ui nodes. Try localhost:1880.

Looks like you already have some old version running. You need to stop that and start this new one. Did you completely remove the snap ?

I did do a snap remove node-red and it appeared to have uninstalled. The problem is, if the different sources install I to different locations then I don't k owe where to look to verify. And the node red version that opens when I open the browser, fails to install the node red dashboard node. Hence my frustration.

Have you rebooted since uninstalling ? If you run node-red command does it still fail with that port error? If so try node-red-stop command then retry. Or try sudo snap stop node-red and sudo snap remove node-red again and then retry.
The dashboard needs version 0.20 of node-red at least and the old version there is too old.

I had rebooted after running the pi script. when I booted and went to launch node-red-start -- it said it was already running. "port in use"
so something is starting it at bootup. i did a node-red-stop. then typed node-red from command line. it boots up the usual listing of nodes and such, then says unable to listen .. port in use. so something is still running that's not shutting down.

Ok, I think I found the problem. I had done a snap remove node-red
and it did, or so i thought. in looking around the snap folder - I found a node-red-amd64 folder. removed that, and restarted the node-red
now I have version 1.2.3 running. so apparently I had 3 different version of node red installed. snap node-red, snap node-red-amd64, and v1.2.3 from the pi script. the last worked. now to see if the node manager will install anything. if that works, i will mark this closed.

thank you so much for the help thus far.

update to the thread. dceejay is awesome. I had followed the snap remove node-red command and it said node red was not installed.
i went to the folder - and found an additional node-red-amd64 folder.
did snap remove node-red-amd64, snap removed that one -
and now the version with the pi script installer is working. v1.2.3

i had tried the snap version which didnt work. I thought I had removed it. then found a site which gave the command to install globally from the repository. I had done that - still didn't work. posted to the forum, and was recommended to use the pi script. did that. still had issues. but found that there was an additional version in snap that hadnt been removed. removed that and now it works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.