Problems to start Dashboard

Hi to you all,

For getting started as someone without any knowledge of Node-Red I finally found someone helping me with a setup of his flow on my PC which communicates with a Raspberry Pi4 which is listening to a broadcast.
I was so impressed of Node-Red 3.02 that I wanted to improve his flow on another Linux Mint Laptop on which I first had to install Linux Mint 21.1 from a USB-Stick and to uninstall Win10. After a few days I got the Linux Mint running on this Laptop.
Thereafter I started to install the Node-Red package -node18 again with try and error but I got it running,

1. I wanted, but I was not able to follow the safety recommendations as I do not know which of these recommendations I really need. And now Node-Red is still NOT secured.
    Then I started to copy the running flow via SD-card to the Linux Mint Laptop and added three gauges for the three phase voltages to his flow. ui_base, ui_tabs and ui_group are also changed for the new dashboard-page.
  2. The problem is now: When I now add /ui into the existing url then it does not start the dashboard-page.
    It the shows myIP:1880/ui/#!/#flow%............ This is totally different to what is shown when I start the Dashboard of original flow. I have no idea what is wrong here.

Is someone in this forum who is willing to help me?

Best regards,

Hi @Jo55, welcome to Node-red.

So you have Node-red runing on the Linux laptop?
1 Are you accessing it from a browser also on that laptop?
2 Do you see the editor OK? It should be at 127.0.0.1:1880 or <local IP address>:1880

3 Have you installed the dashboard node-red-dashboard via the hamburger menu | Manage palette?

4 What do you see when you point a browser at 127.0.0.1:1880/ui or <local IP address>:1880/ui ?

On my system (192.168.1.11) I see this URL http://192.168.1.11:1880/ui/#!/0?socketid=OALwavCkANDvZ1a4AAAB

I think the gibberish after "ui" identifies which UI tab is displayed and who is connected to it (?)
This is deeply unhelpful, I'm sure there must be a way to automatically display a more friendly URL.
Anyway, it does not indicate a problem.

Note: since you have a Raspberry Pi 4, quite a common and successful setup is to run Node-red on the Pi and access it via a browser on another device: Linux or Windows PC. or a tablet.

You don't actually need to secure Node-red unless it is accessible over the internet. Or if it's handling important stuff like your heating and there are pesky kids in the house. :grinning:

Hi jbudd,

1. Yes
  2. Yes as I already eddited the "old" flow from that nice guy
  3. No just did it from Node-Red directly
  4. I see only a white blank page

This socket id does not show /0?socketid=

I do not need to have it accessible via internet

I am at a bit of a loss because I have never seen just a white page,
If the dashboard nodes are not installed I see this

If they are installed but there are no dashboard widgeets enabled, I see this

I suggest you go to Manage Palette, the install tab and install node-red-dashboard again.
Restart the device, clear the browser cache and see if it's made any difference.

At the command line run node -v to show the version of node.js, and in Node-red use the hamburger menu to show the version of Node-red. Show us the results.

When you see a white browser page, it is generally because an underlying library has failed. The first step is to open your browsers "Developer Tools" - generally pressing the F12 key will do that. Look for the console tab which should show the error(s).

Hi and good morning jbudd
nodejs is 18.14.1
node v.3.0.2

@jbudd

I installed the dashboard new
I cleaned the chronic of Firefox

When I start Dashboard it shows myIP:1880/ui/
but at the same time above that line Firefox shows a little "house" symbol and in writing: undefined

The source map error is not a problem.

Stop node red and start it again and copy/paste the full startup text here please. Assuming you used the recommended install method then you can do that using
node-red-stop
node-red-start

When you paste it use the </> button at the top of the forum entry window.

An error occurred: Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.

Who asked for any links?

I don't think new users are restricted pasting text.

Starting as a systemd service.
19 Feb 13:40:55 - [info]
Willkommen bei Node-RED
===================
19 Feb 13:40:55 - [info] Node-RED Version: v3.0.2
19 Feb 13:40:55 - [info] Node.js  Version: v18.14.1
19 Feb 13:40:55 - [info] Linux 5.15.0-60-generic x64 LE
19 Feb 13:40:56 - [info] Paletten-Nodes werden geladen
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] UI started at /ui
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Dashboard version 3.3.1 started at /ui
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry-Pi-spezifische Nodes inaktiv gesetzt
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_button] Der Typ 'ui_button' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_switch] Der Typ 'ui_switch' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_slider] Der Typ 'ui_slider' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_numeric] Der Typ 'ui_numeric' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_text_input] Der Typ 'ui_text_input' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_text] Der Typ 'ui_text' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_gauge] Der Typ 'ui_gauge' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_chart] Der Typ 'ui_chart' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_toast] Der Typ 'ui_toast' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_template] Der Typ 'ui_template' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_link] Der Typ 'ui_link' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] [node-red-dashboard/ui_tab] Der Typ 'ui_tab' ist bereits von Modul 'node-red-contrib-ui_j' registriert
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Einstellungsdatei: /home/johannes/.node-red/settings.js
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Kontextspeicher: default [module=memory]
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Benutzerverzeichnis: /home/johannes/.node-red
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn] Projekte deaktiviert: editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Flow-Datei: /home/johannes/.node-red/flows.json
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Server wird jetzt auf http://127.0.0.1:1880/ ausgeführt
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [warn]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Die Datei mit den Flow-Credentials wird mit einem vom System
generierten Schlüssel verschlüsselt.
Wenn der vom System generierte Schlüssel aus irgendeinem Grund
verloren geht, kann die Datei mit den Credentials nicht
wiederhergestellt werden. Sie muss dann gelöscht und die
Credentials müssen erneut eingestellt werden.
Es sollte ein eigener Schlüssel mit Hilfe der Option
'credentialSecret' in der Einstellungsdatei vorgegeben werden.
Node-RED wird dann die Datei mit den Flow-Credentials
bei der nächsten Übernahme (deploy) einer Änderung erneut
verschlüsseln.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Flows werden gestartet
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] Flows sind gestartet
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] [udp in:SMA EM] UDP-Multicast-Gruppe 239.12.255.254
19 Feb 13:40:57 - [info] [udp in:SMA EM] UDP-Empfangsbereitschaft bei 0.0.0.0:9522
19 Feb 13:40:58 - [error] [file:318ea74dec7804a8] Fehler beim Anhängen an Datei: Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/home/johannes/sma.csv'

`type or paste code here`

Did you not see the `type or paste code here text when you clicked the button. I will correct your for you.

You have two dashboards installed, uninstall node-red-contrib-ui_j

Hi Colin,
sorry
but
thank you for your help.

There is a different flow running for the Raspi with a different local ip .31
with a different look of the dashboard.
This original flow and dashboard for the Raspi on my Laptop I would like to keep as it is. As it is working perfectly.

To learn more about Node-Red I copied that original flow for adding three gauges for the 3 Phase-Voltages to show. That means the dashboard looks different. And this Laptop has another local IP .27.

Just to be sure: Does the deleting of this second dashboard node-red-contrib-ui_j affect the original one?
What do I have to do to be safe? Creating another, different dashboard?

What does this error means
19 Feb 13:40:58 - [error] [file:318ea74dec7804a8] Fehler beim Anhängen an Datei: Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, open '/home/johannes/sma.csv'

I do not see any .csv file in my user directory

INFO: The User and PW for Node-Red on this Linux Laptop was set right after the installation of Node-Red.

Sorry again. I haven`t had any contact with Linux Mint and Node-Red before.

Since you are of course backing up your .node-red folder regularly it wouldn't matter if you messed things up as all you would have to do is to restore that folder from your backup. In fact you don't need to backup the node_modules folder (which is large) as it is easily regenerated.

I don't know anything about that dashboard, but I notice it has not been updated for 7 years so I think it unlikely that it even works. Also I see the source has been removed from github so it can be regarded as dead.

I expect that is why is complaining. There is a file node in your flow trying to access it. The node id is in the error message. In the editor go to Search (Ctrl+F) and enter 318ea74dec and it will probably find it. In fact I would expect that error to appear in the debug pane and you should be able to click the node id there to take you to it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.