Two suggestions for tiny enhancements

1 Allow a setting for the background & foreground colour of comment nodes in the editor.
Some comments are mundane, some hold important information.
eg I have a comment containing the SQL database structure which is important to keep documented with the flow that accesses it.

2 EDIT - I suppose that's exactly what the link node does. But it's less obvious which bits link together than using one node with in and out.
A "null" node which does nothing but pass on incoming messages. It should take up very little space in the editor.
Perhaps of limited use but here is a picture from one of my flows where I used a delay node solely to reduce wires. A node that does nothing would be more appropriate. (Maybe it already exists?)

1. Would grouping help? You can set various aspects of the group to make it stand out more

2. There are a few threads on the forum about this. The common recommendation is to use a function node (that simply returns the msg) or a change node with zero changes. Then in the node properties, turn off the label to shrink it down to just the icon. You can also change the icon to something appropriate.

Thanks for the suggestions Steve.

I can put an important comment into a group by itself and set the group background.
It works pretty well, the only drawback is it takes up more space.
If there are other nodes nearby the group fill stays behind all the other elements.
Not pretty but it works.

Turn off the label and change the icon. Perfect. I hadn't noticed the node appearance tab!

Hi,

Regarding "A 'null' node which does nothing but pass on incoming messages. It should take up very little space in the editor. "

There is already a no-op node: node-red-contrib-noop (node) - Node-RED

You can also create one yourself (as previously mentioned) but if you create it as a sub-flow then you can even change the icon & colour - which you seem keen on.

Cheers,

Paul

1 Like

Thanks Paul!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.