Unable-to-install-node-red-missing-node-js-and-npm-stops-installation

Running Node-RED install for user pi at /home/pi on debian

This can take 20-30 minutes on the slower Pi versions - please wait.

Stop Node-RED :heavy_check_mark:
Remove old version of Node-RED :heavy_check_mark:
Remove old version of Node.js :heavy_check_mark: v10.24.0
Install Node.js 16 LTS ✘ Bad install: Node.js v10.24.0 Npm missing - Exitcache
Install Node-RED core
Move global nodes to local
Npm rebuild existing nodes
Install extra Pi nodes
Add shortcut commands
Update systemd script

Any errors will be logged to /var/log/nodered-install.log

Can anyone help me to solve this I do almost thing just like update ,full upgrade , install npm please anyone suggest me to how to solve this problem.

Welcome to the forum @Syed

This may indicate a problem with installing packages on your system. Please open a terminal and run
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
and see if it shows any problems.

I did this but Collin my issue was not resolved any other option for this

Run the script again, then post the log. It tells you where that is when it finishes.

first do an uninstall of any nodejs - sudo apt purge nodejs npm - then re-run the script but add the parameter - --node14 to force it to install node14 first.

1 Like

Running Node-RED install for user pi at /home/pi on debian

/lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3: No such file or directory

This can take 20-30 minutes on the slower Pi versions - please wait.

Stop Node-RED :heavy_check_mark:
Remove old version of Node-RED :heavy_check_mark:
Using N to manage Node.js +
Update Node.js 14 ✘ Bad install: Node.js missing Npm missing - Exit cache
Install Node-RED core
Move global nodes to local
Npm rebuild existing nodes
Install extra Pi nodes
Add shortcut commands
Update systemd script

Any errors will be logged to /var/log/nodered-install.log

That isn't the log I asked for, though it is interesting.

[Edit] If that file is now empty it is because the log files have been rotated since it was created. Run this command to find the most recent non-empty log file.
ls -l /var/log/nodered*

I wonder if this is because you are using Debian rather than Raspbian. Which debian image did you install?

Is there a reason you need to run N to manage node ? In general we find it causes more problems than it solves.

I must be going blind, I missed that.

Any suggestions for solve this problem

If you want to use N to manage nodejs, then use it to install nodejs 14 and install an appropriate version of npm, then run the script again. If you don't have a need to use N then completely remove it, uninstall nodejs and npm and run the script again.

If it still fails then do what has been asked several times and post the install log which is mentioned at the end of the script output you posted

Also answer the question about which Debian image you installed. It is difficult to help if you don't answer the questions.

@dceejay ... I'm having the same problem as @Syed. I following your suggestion and run the script & added "--node14". It shows it removed Node.js v14.19.1 but then the next line has the same error "Bad install: Node.js v14.19.1 Npm missing - Exitcache".

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Well I got lucky and solved my issue myself... I ran the script using the "--node16" option and everything installed/upgraded without any errors.

Just had a similiar issue upgrading an old buster image from 2019 and this sorted it #Phew

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.