Unable to switch flows

Hello
I usually do not touch my node-red installation, since everything works as it should.
But today I needed to and I ran in a strange behavior:
When clicking on another flow tab

  • it switches to the flow and shows it very briefly (0.5sec or so)
  • the it shows a flow reloading bar, it reloads
  • then it switches back to my initial flow
    No switching to another flow is possible. I also used the menue on the left side and the list of flows from the top-right, always same behavior.

Node-RED 5.0.8 (installed and updated with 'the script', using option --node22)
on a Raspberry Pi 4 with bullseye
using MacOS 27.0.1 with Safari

What can I do to debug this (although there is limited know-how on my side)?

Thankful for any hints,
Urs.

Hi @Urs-Eppenberger

First, can you check the developer console in the browser for any errors? Safari makes it hard to find but you'll need to:

  1. Open Safari settings from the Safari menu
  2. On the Advanced tab, tick the 'Show features for web developers' box at the bottom and close the settings dialog.
  3. With the Node-RED editor open, you should have a Developer menu - under that select Show JavaScript console.
  4. Check for any errors reported in that console when you try switching tab.

You could also try with a different browser - something other than Safari, such as Chrome or Firefox - to see if this is a Safari specific thing or not.

Thanks for the very quick reaction. I did not expect this.
I followed the 4 steps exactly. Here is a screenshot of the errors which showed up.

I have other browsers installed and will check this too.
Kind regards,
Urs.

Those messages all appear normal. Do any new messages appear when you try switching tab and hit the issue you're reporting?

When using Firefox, the bug is not reproducible. Which means, my immediate problem is solved by using another browser.

I updated my initial message to make it more precise. The failure seems to be restricted to the Safari browser.

Then I checked the 'preserve log' button in the javascript console. Since it did not show the errors produced when switching flows, it only showed the result from the last page reload.
The new screenshot below shows the failed try to switch and then the reload of the initial flow.
It seems not to contain anything new, but I wanted to follow your request as painstakingly as possible.

Here is something I missed which might be of use:

If I open the arrows then tons of stuff appears. I'm not a developer, therefore I have no clue how to work with this console. Let me know if there is information of use to you and how I can export this for you.

Kind regards,
Urs.

I do have the same problem as described on iMac with local node red 5.01
Imac to MacBookair Sonoma 14.5 and node-red with node-red 4.0
Firefox on iMac with local node-red 5.01 no problem

tested also on iMac with local node-red and duckduckgo as browser also not able to switch flow
btw iMac is appleM3
@knolleary

@knolleary

I am seeing something very similar (but a continuous loop), which start when switching flows

  • But I am not on v5 on my Mac (yet)

I believe this to be a "Rotten Apple" (pun intended)

Since MacOS 27, not sure if the project needs to address or Apple <-- my vote, given its happening across Multiple versions

Oct-08-2026 20-11-24

Safari : 27.0.1
NR : 3.1.9

I just found an older post, which shows the same problem:

There it is proposed to do one manual reload of the first page (the initial flow Node-RED shows). I did this. And now I'm able to switch between flows without any problem. So it works no in Safari too (once the initial page is reloaded one time).

For me, the topic is solved. I can either use Firefox, or use Safari and refresh the first page once.

Kind regards,

Urs.