Using TickTockDB (an open source Time Series DataBase) on a RPI 2 model B and Node-red

I stumbled on Ticktockdb awhile ago and decided to try it as a replacement for Influx. After some starts and stops, I got it to install on a Rpi 2 Model B and it is running with no problems that I see.

I have three sensors sending data (Temperature, Pressure and Humidity) via MQTT so I built a flow that gets the data, formats it and sends it to the ticktockdb. I also build a dashboard that graphs the data based on selectable criteria.

Here are the instructions for installing ticktockdb:
TICKTOCK on PI 2 Model B.pdf (62.4 KB)

and here is the flow for accessing it:
ticktockdb-v01.json (34.4 KB)

And here are a couple graphs

I've been running this for a couple weeks and have seen no change in the SD card usage or processor.

8 Likes

It looks like a good option for low power devices, (according to the developers at least :wink: )

1 Like

I also installed on a pi4 with no issues.

1 Like

Very interesting. It looks like this TickTock database is faster than Victoria Metrics, and uses less resources too.

A database running on Pi2 is impressive. I see the potential of this database for IOT applications.

2 Likes

hi, TickTockDB(TT) co-author here. @zenofmud Thanks a lot for your efforts in Node-red.

For those interested in TSDB, here are some of our design goals of TickTockDB:

1. Lightweight (runnable on SoC, e.g., RaspberryPI or OrangePI, ARM or X86, 32 or 64 bit OS);
  2. High perf,(10x influx, 80x opentsdb, benchmarks here );
  3. Simple maintenance (1 process only, easy to move/backup data around, docker ready);
  4. Compatible with opentsdb APIs and influx line protocol

You're welcome to try TT. Don't hesitate to contact us if you had any problems.

Yi

4 Likes

Just wanted to add on here that i asked some questions re docker deployment on their github and they were onto it almost immediately - great support

Craig

2 Likes