Bacnet node help

regarding this node

Im trying to set up a device that will send some values to bacnet points in a remote device.

I know enough about bacnet, but cant really get my head around setting it up with this node in node red.

I cant find much info about the node so I'm struggling to get anything but errors.

Does anyone know of any guides or if you have set up a device ok can you give me some pointers on the following.

Heres my scenario,

remote device details
IP network - 1
device instance - 1001
analogue value instance - 1

I keep getting the error from the bacnet write module
'Error: Cannot encode a value if the type has not been specified'

but whatever I change the error stays the same so Im stuck.

Im currently running a virtual bacnet device on my laptop and node red running on a raspberry pi.

Just need more details on what the parameters in the write module are. I think they all make sense so I dont know where im going wrong. Also using the function module before it but the parameter naming doesnt all seem self explanatory in there.

thanks

Hi,
I'm also trying this palette, setting the values in the module directly, it works for me! but you have to be careful with the type App-Tag, which you can also check in the Yabe application, in my case (numeric value) is 4.
Instead I can't pass the value to it from another node via payload... :frowning:

bye bye

P.S.: Here the use of Yabe for the App-Tag is explained BACnet Write node test · Issue #6 · BiancoRoyal/node-red-contrib-bacnet · GitHub

its still not making much sense to me. in the write node, there are two properties, device and client. It seems obvious that the device is the IP of the remote device youre trying to talk to, but how should client be set up? and what does it mean, how the the remote device not be the client?

Im trying again with yabe and cant get the read node to work either. the only thing that doesnt give me an error is the who is message, but it also just returns an array of 0, so I cant see that its actually doing anything seeing as yabe returns all available bacnet devices running on my laptop, but the node isnt returning anything while running on the same network.

Im also assuming that the bacnet node, doesnt actually set up the pi as a bacnet device, I havent seen where you set up and required bacnet parameters, so have I missed something important here?

Steven,

The Client box is confusing at best but I finally figured out through trial and error that this is where you setup your device to speak BacNet.

Interface = Your Local IP Address of the device running Node-Red
Broadcast = Your local broadcast address, most likely xxx.xxx.xxx.255
Port = Your BacNet UDP port, most likely 47808
apdu timeout = 6000

I'm super new to Node-Red but I hope this helps.

1 Like

I can't connect to the device using node-red-contrib-bacnet in any way.
I saw that some forum users succeeded.
My raspberry is on the network 192..., and the device is on the network 10...., routing is configured, I get to the address on the web interface of the device.
How and what to enter in the Device and Client settings fields?
Could you explain to me what and where to enter.
Sorry, I'm Russian, I write through a translator.

Unfortunately, this does not support BBMD so your NodeRed device needs to be on the same subnet as the BacNet device you are trying to connect to.

justjoe96, Thank you for your quick response.
But I'm a little confused as to why other devices on my network, 192..., connect and receive data from this bacnet device?
Or is this a special case of this particular contrib?

I can't be sure. I know BacNet well and I'm absolutely certain that you need to have an Annex J BBMD set up to communicate across subnets. I would read up more on the ASHRAE BacNet specification for more information on BacNet networks.

https://www.ashrae.org/technical-resources/bookstore/bacnet

justjoe96, I got acquainted with the purpose of BBMD, and realized that it had nothing to do with it. CAS BACnet BBMD
The thing is that its main purpose is "who is here" and "I am here".
In my case, this is absolutely unnecessary, since I know exactly the addresses of my controllers, and with the help of OPC Insat Bacnet, its free versions for 32 tags, or the full trial for 1 hour, I got a list of objects, their instances.
In this regard, I started to view the network settings again.
And I found - he ip address on the Raspberry was set in it, without using DHCP, and somehow the router did not process requests from it to go to another subnet according to the routing rules.
After the transfer of the raspberry to get an ip from the router, everything took off.
By writing the function in one line, I got the data I needed about the parameter value.
In setting up the address for broadcast, I entered the address in my network, although it is not needed at all in my case.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.