Best touch screen to use with NR dashboard?

Ive swapped it for a home assistant dashboard using the HA app because the rest of my house was already HA. NR is just a small part of my home automation (mostly my terrarium, and some small automation tasks that are much easier in NR than in HA). That's a little better, but still sluggish. I think a factor is that the ipads simply aren't really meant to run as dashboards. After a while the app becomes totally unresponsive and I have to restart it. Could be HA app, but I had the same issues when I ran NR dashboard in a kiosk browser.

I've been down this route. Cheap Amazon fire tablets, cheap android Chinese tablets and they are all slow and frustrating to setup and use. When the new iPad came out last month for only $329 I figured I would give it a go and it's amazing. Not only is the multitasking and split screen feature nice but it's just so fast and clear. It might be three times the cost of the cheap ones but it works, and works very well.

Then indeed 200 eur is a lot of money...

I find it so hard to believe that is only a 7 inch display:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/8agpch/might_as_well_jump_on_the_bandwagon_raspberry_pi/

[EDIT] because such a case is easier to find, like this or this. Although I have never seen a similar case fir the 10 inch Raspberry touch screens ....

Chinese, but some USA/European resellers have it stocked. In general I’m quite happy with Seeed products when it comes to quality, but haven’t used this screen.

1 Like

One thing to be wary of with POS monitors is that they're sometimes analogue input only - and this is one example; although it does have a DVI connector, when you read the details you'll see it's an analogue DVI port... Not easy to hook up to a Pi. They are also often CCFL backlit, and may have gone dim with age (these things tend to be on a lot). That aside, you can find some really cool stuff in this category for not a whole lot of money. This 12" IBM jobbie with built in keypad and MSR looks pretty schmick to me. Having a keypad for numeric entry and macro triggering would be nice, and the keycaps are designed to accept custom labels.The MSR could be used as 2FA for admin access.

1 Like

It might be worth having a look at the Nextion displays from Itead, the developers of the Sonoff range of controls. I have no experience with them but plan to give one a try. They have been mentioned briefly on the forum and in Pete Scargill's blog. Unlike tablets, they won't run a browser or other software, but at least on the "intelligent" ones the display is generated locally and requires only a serial connection for character-based i/o. I suspect the interface will have limitations, but it should be very responsive.

Advantages of pi board over the tablet

• you can't keep your TAB 24x7 on and running, the life will be reduced, or many other problems
  • maintaining of charging and discharging of tab, if always kept on charging, the better will die
  • you have unlimited options behind the dashboard, like, it can be used as a home-server, mosquito server etc
  • overall life of pi board is much more than that of a tab.More robust than a tab if designed properly.
  • Automatic on after power cycle. If for any reason, your tab gets switched off, then what will you do.

in nutshell,
a tab is an assistant device and portable. Pi board is a more stable and powerful server to be used stationary systems like the dashboard.

1 Like

That really isn't true. I have several devices that stay on 24x7 and have done for years. It is true that screens will eventually degrade. But you can reduce that by making sure that anything on-screen is regularly changing and not having screens anywhere near full brightness.

For the rest of the electronics, it is actually better in general to have them on permanently rather than turning on/off. As long as they don't get too hot.

This generally isn't really an issue any more, at least for decent devices. I keep most of my devices on power most of the time and still get better long-term battery life than many of my colleagues and friends.

In any case, if you leave it always on mains, you probably really don't care much about the battery life.

I have a 10" Windows 10 tablet that I use as a photoframe because it was cheaper to buy than an actual photoframe but has a better screen and can do other things too. Apart from occasionally taking it on holiday instead of an expensive laptop, it stays on 24x7x365 showing the W10 start screensaver pointing at a large collection of photos.

Not sure where you are getting that from. There are far too many variables to be able to make that statement. An old iPad for example will have vastly better components than any Pi which, after all, is targeted at the education market and therefore made to a low price. I've seen iPads and Android tablets used as office meeting room booking displays that stay on for years.

As long as it is set up correctly, this shouldn't be an issue. Many tablets can also be configured into a Kiosk mode (you see these all the time in shops selling them).

Not necessarily at all as indicated by my examples above.

No, a Pi is an educational tool designed to be used periodically in the classroom. The fact that it is also stable over many years is testament to its design but isn't its primary purpose. And it most certainly is not more powerful than most tablets. Indeed, it is usually a lot less powerful even than many cheap tablets.

Hello sir,
I have shared only my experiences only. I have already used tab as a kiosk machine also and once I was in favor of it. But now, I have converted all kiosk machines from tabs to pi board. You are more experienced than me, I really appreciate your knowledge and support.
The Pi boards were indeed designed for educational purposes, but now it has been adopted as industry standards. That's why the pi compute modules are there. Now Ubuntu has support for raspberry pi officially. Google's Tensorflow etc all have released their separate framework specially designed for Raspberry pi.
I guess in the future there will be official support of Android also for Raspberry pi, after that, Tabs and Raspberry pi will be almost the same.