Can't upload .log files to the forum

I see that .log files cannot be uploaded to the forum. I assume that this is a forum setting rather than browser specific. If so is there a good reason that .log files are not permitted? Other than it being the forum default that is.

Was it a big file?

No, if you click the upload button and browse then .log files are not shown, and if you drag a .log file in then it says

This is in Firefox on Ubuntu. I assumed that it was a forum setting.

Just rename it to ,txt :grinning:

edit: .log now added to the list of permitted upload file types

.log hasn't been specifically excluded - it just isn't on the list of common file types that are commonly shared in a forum.

Renaming the file to .txt is an easy workaround and also helps make it clear it's a text file and not some arbitrary or proprietary log file format.

But that may not be intuitive to some users - as we do see from time to time. I'll dig out the setting and see if we can add .log to the list.

1 Like

Our language is much too subtle in many ways. You interpreted my question as 'why are log files excluded?' which is a perfectly reasonable way of interpreting it, as 'not permitted' and 'excluded' are effectively the same thing. However what I actually meant was why are log files not included in the permitted list.

Yes, I have come across it a couple of times with the install log, most recently a couple of hours ago. The poster was new and could not paste a large content, but also could not attach the log file. Thanks for making the change.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.