Category "Hardware"

I would like to suggest that a new category "Hardware" would be useful for discussing hardware, interfacing, sensors etc. What do others think?

5 Likes

Ah well! No others apart from the likers.

0 Likes

Sorry, I missed your post the first time around. Happy to create the category when I'm next near my laptop to do it. Not sure when that will be now .

1 Like

@knolleary, did you forget? :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Yes.

Now created.

2 Likes

@knolleary Excellent. What is your philosophy on changing categories retroactively? There have been quite a few posts recently on Modbus issues (for example) that might belong in the "hardware" category.

0 Likes

Where appropriate we do move posts. As usual though Modbus itself is (to my mind) more software than hardware - though intimately tied to hardware I grant you... - I was think more along the lines of sensors and how to connect my xyz esp sonoff chip, how to control leds etc.. - but yeah - can move any we feel would benefit.

0 Likes

Just a thought, imagine a set of Nodes primarily developed to support a specific hardware. In what category is it best to place such? In "Share Your Nodes" or in "Hardware"? Related questions & answers could be a mix, starting with assumptions about sw bugs but ending up in wrong handling of the hardware itself. Maybe not a big problem but I can imagine a Node developer/contributer might have to monitor both categories

0 Likes

“Share your...” categories are meant for announcements and gallery of completed works. Hardware (and others) for questions and usual chat.

0 Likes

Where you post is not really important, what you post is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, but some of us fall so far behind in our reading :unamused: that having categories can help set priorities. I welcome new (well-defined) categories, if they help turn the General one into more of a "general interest" category and less of a catch-all for things that don't fit elsewhere.

1 Like

Very true Mike, I spent a day getting Linux set up on a new Laptop (convertible) and now have to get through lots of new posts.

0 Likes