Configurations lost after restart

Good night

Since some time ago I loss the configurations for telegram node (node bot key) and email node (user/pass).

I’m running all latest versions of everything, curiously on telegram node the key appears empty however on the email node is showing a users and some passw but should not be valid, I need to write it down again to make it work.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes

Any idea? I’m getting a bit lost on this

0 Likes

Hi - not sure what the problem you are describing is. Any node with credentials will not show the exact password back to the browser client (we use a dummy of length 8) - as that would be a security no-no - so it may look different length but will be ok - as long as you haven’t actually lost your creds from the back end. But they won’t get lost over a restart.

(Note: the way that the projects feature handles creds is slightly different so you need to follow the instructions to migrate them)

0 Likes

The other (likely) possibility is the system has lost the key to decrypt your credentials so they got wiped. In 0.18.0-0.18.5 (or maybe .6) we would stop your flows in this scenario and require you to manually recover the system. This caused too many complaints so a fix was made to restore the pre0.18 behaviour where it continues to run without your credentials.

If you hadn’t set credentialSecret in your settings file, then it generates a secret and stores it in .config.json under the key _credentialSecret. Something must have happened to your .config.json file for the _credentialSecret to have been lost - and as it was a system generated one, once its gone, its gone.

So you may well have to re-enter your credentials again. But before you do, make sure you have set credentialSecret in your settings file to some known value and then restart Node-RED. That way you will have the key to decrypting your credentials and not rely on the system generated one.

0 Likes

knolleary you were right, don’t ask me exactly how it was to fix it because I made a hundred of movements… what is clear I have recovered my settings.js to a previous one I had as backup, after this and reboot I have to log again all my credentials, I made some reboot again and minor changes and now seems to be solved.

Or I changed something by mistake or something was wrong into there.

The important… is back to work.

Thanks guys

0 Likes