Crazy question for the weekend - buy nodes as NFT

So we are back on the topic .. this money could be used for something meaningful once converted and turned into something "physical".

Just goes to show where peoples heads are. Rich people care more about the latest 'new' thing than using their wealth to help their fellow humans.

@rko since this is not really a node-red issues, might I suggest you close the thread.

It's very much about node-red and how a node developer could get "financial support". I mean, look at the log4j case (just an example).

Personally, I've yet to see a use case for NFTs that haven't smelt modern day snake oil.

Just today I saw someone proposing to sell NFTs of colours, so that people could get rich when other NFTs use their colours. They are just pyramid schemes - a stack of grifts all needing the next grift to keep pumping artificial value into the system.

Not forgetting the questionable ecological impact of most crypto schemes out there.

NFTs don't solve the problem of under funding in open source.

2 Likes

Personally, I've yet to see a use case for NFTs that haven't smelt modern day snake oil.

I am quite invested in GET protocol (not financial advice :P) because of their use case: ticketing.

They have sold 500k tickets last (corona) year, which are NFT's but transparent to the user, although their status can be tracked live on the blockchain. One does not need any blockchain knowledge, buy tickets with fiat, the rest happens in the background. Artists can add additional value to that ticket, be it backstage access, signed pictures, whatever.

The ticketing industry is a corrupt mess, with this system it is no longer possible to scalp tickets. Tickets cannot be screenshotted (rotating QR codes) and the secondary market is under control by the organiser/artist. They have been growing steadily and talk/sign up players in the ticketing industry (just not ticketmaster which is the main culprit of the issue).

You won't need blockchains for all this, their real value comes in when they can provide event financing (using a DAO), which is larger problem for artists/venues. Anyway I am getting offtopic.

In general: yes I agree that there is a lot of hype and nonsense (=money), JPEG NFT's will wear of this year I suspect. Blockchains are the wild west and it will remain like that for a while.

Serious projects do exist, especially in the space of auditability.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.