Difficulty setting up Sony Bravia on Node Red

I have a fairly recent (~2yo) Sony Bravia and I'm using the node-red-contrib-bravia nodes. The TV was easily set up as described and that configuration has been triple checked. Using the bravia ircc node I configured the set but it consistently fails getting the ircc codes. A port scan shows port 80 (and a few others) active. When I browse the set I get a blank screen. Both the set and the Mac are hardwired. Any suggestions?

That is over 3y old (older than your TV) - perhaps it is not supported?

Also, your description is not 100% clear.

For example you say:

• "When I browse the set I get a blank screen" - is that a blank TV screen?
  • " A port scan shows port 80 (and a few others) active" - a port scan of what?
  • "Using the bravia ircc node I configured the set but it consistently fails getting the ircc codes" - how does it fail? Do you get any errors? Anything in the node-red console or the browser console?

Perhaps some screenshots would also help?

If you dont get any responses after providing the above info, then perhaps you could ask on the GitHub issues.

I'll try to clarify:

• I was browsing (Firefox) to http://{ipaddr}:80. The browser screen was blank. Since you can normally browse to devices that open port 80 and get some sort of response screen, this was unexpected behavior.
  • The port scan was of the Bravia ip address
  • The error message I get is that it "failed to retrieve IRCC codes". This is from Node Red.

normally, if t is a webserver. Just because it has port 80 does not always mean it is serving HTML. In other words, there may actually be a data response (not HTML) - open Dev Tools (usually F12) and watch the network tab as you refresh - then look at the response in Dev Tools

Where do you see this? In the debug side-bar? in the node-red console log?

Also, is that the EXACT error (I dont see those words in the source code)

More questions:

• how is Node-RED installed?
    • On what kind of device?
    • as a Home Assistant plugin / or installed direct to the computer/pi?
  • what version is Node-RED?

I understand not all port 80 are HTML servers, it was merely a data point. Turns out it does serve up up html - it's a valid html page wo content.

The message is in a pop-up on the node-red screen. The snippet I entered was correct; screen shot below.

Node-red is installed as an add-on to the HA host. Node-Red version is 16.0.2. HA is running on a dedicated Odroid N2+.

Ok, so it might be that node-red is failing to communicate out of its container.

I would suggest running node-red NOT inside a container (outside of HA, like most folk here do)

That'll rule out the container issue.

That is not node-red version. V3.1.3 is the most up-to-date version of Node-RED (released yesterday)

OK, just to level set: I have been doing home automation since the mid-90's but I'm a newbie on HA, so I may be crossing terms. First, the Node-Red version shows as 16.0.2 on it's add-on page so I'm confused...

I'm not running running Docker (or any other container manager) - HA is installed on a bare metal Odroid running the HA Core/supervisor/... Does this configuration run containers under the covers?

btw, thanks for patiently answering my questions...

Added: Just noticed you authored cron-plus. Nice package, especially for a Linux hack.

1 Like

AFAIK, yes. HA runs in containers.

Also, I am fairly sure you can communicate to HA (via their nodes) while running Node-RED in a traditional (metal) manor. What I mean to say is, I think you can run node-red outside of HA without losing anything? (Not a HA user)

Also, you can install node-red along side (since containers isolate node & thus node-red is from your OS).

If you're up for it, I'd recommend installing node & node-red on the OS.

If it is Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) based, there is the official installer script that makes it super simple to install. (It also downloads and installs node which is for whatever reason not as simple or straightforward as it should be on Linux)

That is the version of the HA add-on, not of node red. Look at the bottom of the drop down menu in node red to see the version.

You bring up some interesting options that I will pursue, but I think it doesn't help me solve the original problem. I probably will re-install this whole thing on a Ubuntu system w/ containers and I will try separating Node/Node-RED at that time.

fwiw, I snooped around the OS briefly - it lists the OS as "Home Assistant OS 11.2" although appears to be Ubuntu based. It appears HASSIO and home assistant are installed natively under root - I don't see much else running.

For now, I am going to abandon the bravia attempt and work on other things unless I get some other suggestions. My other Node-red attempts have been successful, so I don't think the install is flawed. Thanks very much for your help.

Ah - thanks. Version 3.1.0.

Ah - thanks. Version 3.1.0.

Can you install the ping node in Node-RED and see if that can ping the to from within the container ?

It responded in .5ms - consistent with the rest of the network. I also have numerous other network entities I successfully communicate with inside of Node-Red.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.