Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate the IEC 60870-5-104 industrial protocol in Node-red?

Hello.
To allow the integration of PLC based equipment that communicates with Scadas through IEC 60870-5-104 protocol, it would be very interesting to study the possibility of node network to allow communication in this protocol.
Do you know if it is possible, do you know any node or flow that allows this integration?

Thank you for your time and interest.

Carlos

IEC 60870-5-104 Protocol (aka IEC 104) is a standard for telecontrol equipment and systems with coded bit serial data transmission in TCP/IP based networks for monitoring and controlling geographically widespread processes .

As it is TCP/IP based, it will certainly be possible.

How much work it would take to do might be another matter.

In a quick search, I saw a Python based implementation though no node.js one which would have been a great place to start.

Thank you TotallyInformation.
Too bad, but that's life.
From your words I interpret that if there was an implementation in node.js, I could use it in node red (as you see I'm a newbie and any information is good to learn).

Pretty likely, especially now that you can more easily load external node.js modules into a Function Node.

You might even be able to take that Python library and convert it to JavaScript. Might be an interesting and useful excercise. Of course, it isn't that hard to either call Python from Node-RED or wrap the Python library with a REST API that you can then run in its own process and interface from Node-RED.

Anyway, here for example is a node.js module that I created that interfaces with the Drayton Wiser smart heating system. Experimental because it needs probably a little more work to make it a bit more robust but I've been using it with my heating system since I wrote it.

One day, I'll probably get around to wrapping a custom node-red node around it but it works just fine with a few function nodes.

1 Like

Thank you for your support and comments

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.