Doorbell alarm on my phone

Is it possible to use Node-Red to get an alarm on my phone when somebody pushes the knob of my doorbell? I sometimes do not hear that so I thought maybe I can add a relay to the bell, connect that to an input of the Raspberry-Pi and then somehow alert my phone to make some sound or vibrate.
I saw a thread that looks a bit the same but I don't want to install Line on my phone and using an sms service: I don't know if that's free for a Dutchman.
Somebody a nice idea?
Or should I use an other road, not via Node-Red?
I don't need to be alarmed when I'm not at home so connection via WiFi seems me enough.

Unfortunately phones tend to go to sleep when they have not been used for a while and only wake up to poll for email etc occasionally. The result is that the wifi may not be connected so that is not a reliable method unless you use something like Tasker (with Android) to keep the phone awake permanently.
It isn't normally a problem because if an email is available you don't normally mind if the phone doesn't pick it up for a few minutes, or even more, but for your application it will be a big problem.
SMS is more reliable I think, as the mobile code has to remain awake in case a call comes in, but I am not sure even that will be good enough for you.

1 Like

Yes, you could use Telegram to send audio signal/sound to your phone. You would have to install the Telegram app on your phone, create an account but it is free of charge. To prevent the door signal to be sent to your phone while out of wifi network, you would need to take further actions by using some kind of presence/absence detection. Like Monitor that checks presence of your (and other selected) phones using BLE (Bluetooth)

This is on my list of things to add to my system, and I'll likely skip the "at home" check as it would be useful to know if anyone was at my door when I was out.

For the hardware I'm planning to use an ESP8266 which will send an MQTT message when the bell is pushed. They're cheap, and the WiFi connection means you don't need extra wires running back to e.g. a Raspberry Pi. In deep sleep mode it should run for months on a couple of AA batteries.

I was thinking also of an ESP8266 as I have these laying around and as my bell is powered by a transformer I don't need AA's as power.
The challange is the path from Node-Red to the phone...
And I don't mind getting an alert when I am not at home but I don't need it. But if it's easier to get always informed that's oke with me too.
( Maybe add a camera that makes a picture of the person pushing the knob :wink: then use an ESP32...)

1 Like

MQTT! It works like a charm as long as the esp8266 and device running NR are on the same WiFi.

If you want to look at an example, I have a smart plug - with an esp8266 embedded - that controls my Coffee Pot Timer you can look at..

I’ve actually just done the same thing - primarily to let us know when someone rings the doorbell when we’re out, so we can take a look at the CCTV to see if a parcel has been left outside.

We have a Honeywell doorbell and I hacked it by adding an ESP8266 that sends an MQTT message to Node-Red when the doorbell is pushed.
As I’m a big user of the Blynk app, I use Node-Red to send a Blynk notification which pops-up on my phone. You could use Telegram or Pushover to achieve the same notification.

Pete.

1 Like

And if you "hack" the ESP-EYE you could do it with an integrated camera. The picture quality and resolution is excellent, I have a few lying around, rather amazing gadgets

https://www.espressif.com/en/products/devkits/esp-eye/overview

1 Like

You can check out our SIGNL4 app (free plan is sufficient in your case). Here is sample flow for a camera alert.
https://flows.nodered.org/flow/1d78fabd12ee19bb9f1bcf3d7c2f2796

If you can connect your door bell to a Raspberry Pi running Node-RED, that's good.

I had a similar problem that I didn't hear the door bell when I was in the backyard. In this case I used a temporary solution and I put a second Android phone close to the door bell. If a sound was detected I got a notification on my phone. I used the Automate app to detect sound.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.