Extract location of my WIFI

Hi all,

Is there a way to extract my location from wifi?
My laptop seems to have a pretty accurate idea of where I am when I connect to my phone hotspot. It also knows where it is when I connect to a MIFI.
How can I extract my location in node red from my wifi connections?

On Windows, this PowerShell script will return your Latitude and Longitude to the best of the location API's ability.

<#
 # To use this, you have to turn on Location settings and allow apps to use your location
 #>

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Device #Required to access System.Device.Location namespace
$GeoWatcher = New-Object System.Device.Location.GeoCoordinateWatcher #Create the required object
$GeoWatcher.Start() #Begin resolving current locaton

while (($GeoWatcher.Status -ne 'Ready') -and ($GeoWatcher.Permission -ne 'Denied')) {
    Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 100 #Wait for discovery.
}  

if ($GeoWatcher.Permission -eq 'Denied'){
    Write-Error 'Access Denied for Location Information'
} else {
    $GeoWatcher.Position.Location | Select Latitude,Longitude #Select the relevent results.
}

Just note that the location is based on a number of things including your IP address, ISP and Wi-Fi where available. If you are on a device that supports GPS, that will be used and if you are using a mobile device, the cell-tower information can also be used.

Just remember that this info gets sent to Microsoft in order to get your location. Use with caution.

You can also craft a web page that will request access to location info.

For my desktop PC, the script returns a point about 34m away from my seat! Somewhat scary, I leave it turned off most of the time.

That's pretty accurate. This gave me the lat & lon of the house across the street from me.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.