Files without extension are not listed (node-red-contrib-fs)

Files without extension are not listed.

Info :

• Windows 10
  • NodeRed 1.3.5 and 2 beta 2
  • NodeJs 14.17.3
  • Npm 7.19.1
  • Chrome

What are the settings you are using in the node?

I tried several : *.* , *

Config generated by node-red-contrib-fs

{
	"start": "C:/Delete",
	"pattern": "*.*,.*.*",
	"folders": "*,.*",
	"lstype": "files",
	"hidden": true,
	"path": true,
	"single": true,
	"depth": 0,
	"stat": true
}

Yup I see the problem and note you have added to an existing issue on the GitHub page. If I get some time later today, I'll take a peek in the code.

Thanks. I've not found much time for that node recently. All contributions gratefully received :slight_smile:

A file pattern of *.* probably wouldn't work of course since it is asking for something with a dot in it. Did you try a file pattern of *.

Did you try just *

@Colin in my testing, the only way to list a file with no extension is using the first letter on the file name and an asterisk.

I be looking at the code later today since I dug into it last year.

OK, I didn't realise you had replicated it with just a *. As you say it does seem there is a bug then.

Julian, please add time formatting in milliseconds (same as in fs-ops-stats).
It would simplify the flow, no need for conversion.

Times

I have a question for you. Lets say you have the following files
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 3.21.57 PM

What do you think the correct search pattern should be to just return the file noext?

For me, for all files : *.*
With no extension, I think * or *.

hmmm, in Linux using
*.* lists all the non hidden files and no folders
*. generates an error
* lists all non hidden files and folders and their contents

so being consistant with Linux, it should be * and you would have to filter out the ones you don't want,,,,hmmm

Ah, that explains why I put in the test for '' or '' and convert both to '.*' because that is looking for FILES not folders which is separate.

So I think something more complex is needed in order to be able to search just for files even if they don't have an extension - and it needs to work on both Windows and Linux.

I am open to suggestions :slight_smile:

I think I'm just returning what Node.JS's fs library gives aren't I?

I'm open to a PR though.

One thing you can do is use a single * and return the results in separate messages. Then add a switch set up to look and see if the file 'contains' a period like this
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 5.03.59 AM
and only pass on what comes out of the 'otherwise'

In bash one can do ls -d !(*.*) which says to only show files without a dot in the name. I suspect that doesn't help here however.

There is a handy npm package which deals very well with pattern matching, and also claims to be Windows compliant.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.