How can I update Node-Red Application in an offline Environment?

I would like to update node-red in an offline environment. Node-red is running on a hyper-v ubuntu machine.
node.js version is v14.18.0 and node-red version is 2.0.6. I would like to update node-red to version 3.0.2.
I can download the latest release from github (node-red). But how can I manually update node-red?

You can simply copy across the appropriate folder as long as the host and the guest OS are of the same platform type. To do this with a "standard" install of node-red (e.g. global install), you need to first track down the installation folder. whereis node-red may do that for you (from a PowerShell terminal).

It is easier (in my opinion), to install node-red locally so that everything is in a location specified by you. I created a quick and dirty tool for doing that TotallyInformation/alternate-node-red-installer: An alternative installer for Node-RED. Avoids global installs, no admin rights required. (github.com).

If using that, then both node-red itself and its userDir folder sit together and you can install/updated on even another device then copy everything over as long as the two OS's are similar.

Thank you, for your solution!
In my case, node-red is "normal" installed.

WHEREIS NODE-RED -> /usr/local/bin/node-red

Does that mean, that I have to set up a OS with same platform type and install "normal" the newest version of node-red. After that, i can copy/paste the node-red folders and override it on my offline target system. If so, then this will be my solution :slight_smile:

Yes.

That is one way to do it. Alternatively, ditch the "normal" install and do a local install instead so that you have the location in a path of your choosing.

If doing global installs, you need to have sudo access to both OS instances of course.

Hi thanks, yes you're right, i need sudo access on both OS instances if i doing a global install.

Maybe it's better with your offline installer, but it's not so easy to make a clean deinstallation/ditch, isn't it?

It is actually much easier. Since you can simply delete the containing folder and everything is gone.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.