How to update / upgrade on Windows

What are the steps to update or upgrade Node-Red on Windows?

npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red

from
https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/windows

1 Like

That's how I installed it in the first place. If I run than command again, will it keep all my flows?

Yes - just ran it myself earlier on today :slight_smile:

It worked perfectly. Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

I have a windows PC running on windows 10. This PC is not connected to the internet. How can I upgrade node-red here? I can access the PC. I've been looking for a solution for a while, but can't really find it.

I have the following questions:

• Where can I find the upgrade files,
  • where should i put them on this pc
  • how should i do it.

This PC is not in my area but about 600 km away, so I am a bit careful with that.

How are you accessing the PC? Via dedicated Satellite radio link?

What is your use case for Node-RED on this remote, unconnected machine?

What version is it currently running?

The PC is behind a remote control unit that closes the network from the internet via a firewall.
I use node red for visualization and communication with a PLC, which is also on that network. That I can access it remotely is for service purposes.
The version of node red that I am using now is v0.20.0.
I want to change the node node-red-contrib-mssql to node-red-contrib-mssql-plus.
For this I have to adjust the node-red dashboard. This gives a conflict with node-red-contrib-ftp causing the node red to crash. With the new node red v1.02, that seems to be going well.
I assume that the PC with node red must have an internet connection if you use the normal command npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red.

There are several variations but simply put, you need to download the npm package to something like a memory stick. Then you need to install it from there. Of course, you also need all of the dependent packages. You can can use the package lock file to help with that.

Alternatively, you can install it locally to a convenient Internet connected Windows 10 PC and then copy the installed folders.

Hi there,

I am running node red v0.20.0 on a virtual machine without internet connection in a production environment to investigate machine data acquisition via OPC UA.
I want to update node red and several nodes to the latest version, because I am not able to connect to a MS SQL database (but that's another issue...)

@Soft4 - Have you been able to update your system? I would appreciate it very much, if you would share your expierence :slight_smile:

@TotallyInformation - You proposed to copy & paste folders from a second PC to the destination system. After doing so, what would be the next step?
Exceute npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red as advised in the Getting Started section or will it work out of the box?

Many thanks in advance for your replies

I haven't had time to try it yet. The customer is constantly in production. I want to test it on a different PC first.

OK, I guess that's what I have to try as well :wink:

From your post above, I assume that you have established a connection between a MS SQL database and node red using the node-red-contrib-mssql (-plus) package(s). May I ask, if your DB runs on the same machine like the node red installation? Did you face any troubles setting up the connection?
Somehow I am not able to login to a database on a different server using Windows authentication. After searching the forum and trying many things, I am still stuck somehow and hoping that an update may improve the situation...

If you "install" via copy/paste, you just need to run it.

Note, however, that if you installed Node-RED using the default -g method, you now have two locations you need to copy from. One is the global install library (you'll have to look up where that is, I can never remember) and your userDir folder. If you used my alternative installer approach, you only have a single master folder to copy (but it is likely to be BIG).

What I understand is that you have to copy the node_modules folder and the package-lock.json file to the offline PC. Then start NR.

My dBase is indeed running on the same PC. I log in with a user name and password.
I have to open the ports on the PCs (firewall)?
SQL, TCP 1433
The following settings in SQL Server Configuration Manager

Maybe this helps