I can't find Manage Palette

Hello,

Currently I have the node-red version v0.20.5 (latest version, I think) and I can't find the option manage palette in the menu in the top right corner.

Someone knows how to fix it ?

Thanks !

You should have a message in the log when NR starts saying the Manage Palette feature has been disabled and a reason for it.

1 Like

Actually, I have the message "Palette editor disabled: npm version too old. Requires npm >= 3.x" but I already updated the npm.

what does npm -v from the command line report ?

1 Like

How can I download the version 3.x ?

Thanks

have you googled 'how to update npm'?

1 Like

before you do that - which version of node.js are you using ? node -v

1 Like

I tried some commands like :slight_smile:

sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red
cd ~/.node-red
npm outdated
npm install foo

but it doesn't work :frowning:

The version is v8.11.1

Both npm and node are not up to date.

sudo npm install -g n
sudo n stable

2 Likes

Bakman2 thank you very much !

I solved my problem typing theses commands !!

@bakman2 - please don't recommend using n - if the user then tries to use our update script it will fail.

hmm interesting note. It is the only way I know how to update nodejs without node-red (update) issues.

Is there a "better" way ?

It depends entirely on operating system and how Node was installed in the first place. You cannot assume everyone uses n.

I personally use nvm - but again, that is more for developers who have to routinely switch versions then for production systems.

and nvm is even worse for end users... as it's a user shell enhancement so running as a service gets you the default node.js and not the nvm one... (but yes fine for developers not running as a service)