Introduction to RED-Node[Question]

I am new here and trying to learn as much as I can. Firstly, I want to know more about this tool. could anyone help me with the answers to the following questions:

Free and Open Source:

Implementation Programming Language :

IoT Layers which can be tested:

Testing Method: White-Box or Black-Box?

API Integration: REST or SOAP?

Testing Level: Unit ?, Integration?, System? or Acceptance?

Standards if any:

Protocols:

Thank you.

I recommend watching this playlist: Node-RED Essentials. The videos are done by the developers of node-red. They're nice & short and to the point. You will understand a whole lot more in about 1 hour. A small investment for a lot of gain.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Free and Open Source: Yes, completely.

Implementation Programming Language : Node.js (JavaScript)

IoT Layers which can be tested: Not sure what you mean by this. However, Node-RED started life as a tool for testing and demonstrating IoT in IBM.

Testing Method: White-Box or Black-Box? Sorry, what do you mean by this?

API Integration: REST or SOAP? Yes. But REST is the most common approach. MQTT and other message queuing services are also commonly used for integration.

Testing Level: Unit ?, Integration?, System? or Acceptance? Again, not clear what you are asking. Not sure that this is really a Node-RED feature any more than any other programming environment, it is more a matter of development process.

Standards if any: Again not terribly clear what you are wanting from this question. Node-RED is a low-code programming platform based on Node.js and ExpressJS (a node.js web server). It will probably support any standard you like. It already uses standards around HTTP(S), TLS, MQTT, TCP, UDP, Websockets and more.

Protocols: Yes! :wink: Pretty much anything you like, some mentioned above.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I want to get started with creation of flows.... what could be the best place to start with?

Pick something that you want to get done that is relatively self-contained and have a go.

I recommend watching this playlist: Node-RED Essentials. The videos are done by the developers of node-red. They're nice & short and to the point. You will understand a whole lot more in about 1 hour. A small investment for a lot of gain.

Also, try the tutorials and cookbook

1 Like

As is a Open-Source project, you can use a White-Box testing method!
If you are testing code in an application where you used libraries, all of this have very documentartion. Also, Node-RED has debugger tools as node-red-debugger where you can:

• set breakpoints on node inputs or outputs
  • pause the runtime manually or when a message arrives at a breakpoint
  • once paused you can:
    • inspect the queued up messages
    • step forward individual messages
    • drop messages

Here's a link to a very simple project I made for my IoT students last week.
No hardware is needed just core nodes plus Worldmap node.
Enjoy.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Very interesting! You mean, I can do End-to-End black-box testing for IoT system with debugging option?

I can test the device Layer, Network Layer, Cloud Layer and Application Layer?

Also need to check how it can be expended to cater for white-box testing as well.

Thank you.

Hi,

Are you asking how to use Node-RED for these types of testing:

• White-Box or Black-Box
  • API Integration: REST or SOAP
  • Testing Level: Unit
  • Integration
  • System
  • Acceptance

OR are you asking what SDLC / testing methodologies are used during the creation of Node-RED itself?

I can explain how we use Node-RED to perform all those types of testing against large corporate applications / systems if that's what you are asking? node-RED is the perfect test automation 'engine' that we use for all of that + more.

Cheers,

Paul

Thank you Paul!

Yes. I need to know all those details plus future directions. Any integration with any other IoT testing tool is also important to me.

Regards,

Hi,

I'm still unsure which of the two alternatives I offered you want answered...

1. How is Node-RED tested
  2. How to use Node-RED as a test automation engine

Cheers,

Paul

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.