Issues with remote access with zerotier

zerotier IP

All looks fine since I can ping all the devices

With which device are you having difficulties. The phone does not seem to be connected.

I cannot access node server PC from "SCADA" or "bikash_pc".

What exactly do you see when you try to access node server pc from one of the other devices?

A snapshot of the screen might help.

Aside, can you ping from node-red-server to SCADA and bikash_pc and vice versa?

Are these PCs located in your home or in a company network?

EDIT:

You might want to check Dashboard suddenly asks for password (Hacked Node-RED servers) BEFORE (or better if at all :slight_smile: ) you open port 1880.

The connection times out.. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT.

Ya , I can both devices vice -versa. Its on my company network.

I suspect this (company network) could still be the problem? Although not likely.

I experienced something similar strange with my laptop working onsite at my client's office network. Company firewalls might indeed block traffic, although this is only a rare condition (see zerotier help).

In order to check this I'd try to connect one of the PCs (which I assume are remote) via your phone (thethering, I assume your phone works). If you could access your node-red server then indeed the company firewall seems to block something needed from zerotier.

Other than this. I run out of ideas since you can ping in both directions. Last call would be to de-install/install zerotier on those remote PCs and hope for the best :slight_smile:

Everything works absolutely fine if I tether all devices to the same network (internet) and use its corresponding IPs, in which case I don't need zerotier.

The issue begins if the network is different and I use zerotier server and IPs.

This is getting really frustrating !!

The only remaining idea that comes to my mind is the fact that you are using company PCs. They very often carry limitations to secure the company's network integrity. Hence there might be policies under the hood that do not allow this.

What type of device is the node-red system ? linux ? do you need to enable ipforwarding ? setup iptables ?

Is there any way to check whether thats the case or not?..because I had used VPNs like Radmin in the past for other purposes without any issue.

Its on windows 10..No idea about port forwarding setup etc!!

Phew ... I'd ask a friend in IT :slight_smile: ... I have no clue what these guys are doing, but I assume this could be a limiting factor.

Ok..so first time it worked was because I had opened the 1880 port and not because of zerotier!!

I assume so, yes. But you shouldn't do so (Dashboard suddenly asks for password (Hacked Node-RED servers))

Is there any software (firewall/anti-virus) installed ?

Ya ....the penny has dropped for me!!..is there any other known way of accessing the dashboards remotely..(must be compatible for phone usage as well)?

Yep, Antivirus : Trend Micro Security..

Yes, zerotier.

The point is that traffic arrives on your node-red server (ie, zt dashboard shows online), but it is getting blocked locally on your server somewhere.