Issues with remote access with zerotier

I assume so, yes. But you shouldn't do so (Dashboard suddenly asks for password (Hacked Node-RED servers))

Is there any software (firewall/anti-virus) installed ?

Ya ....the penny has dropped for me!!..is there any other known way of accessing the dashboards remotely..(must be compatible for phone usage as well)?

Yep, Antivirus : Trend Micro Security..

Yes, zerotier.

The point is that traffic arrives on your node-red server (ie, zt dashboard shows online), but it is getting blocked locally on your server somewhere.

VPN.

I use both options, zerotier as my preferred solution and OpenVPN as a backup. If I got stuck with both of them I'd accept the fact that I cannot access my nodered at home. I am not going down the route to publish a service, since I have no clue how to securely do so.

This got me thinking ... again :slight_smile:

@joey_ind where did you open port 1880. On your WAN site or on your Win10 PC running node red?

on Win10 PC running node red

OK. And this PC is not directly exposed to the internet? Meaning, it is running inside your private home network?

It is connected to the company internet. The idea was to connect to it via phone or PC which is using another internet service provider.

OK. So it is indeed behind a router and not exposed to the internet (which is the reason to consider zerotier at all I assume :smiley: ).

If so, it might very well be a solution to open port 1880 on your WIN10 maschine, since it is NOT directly exposed to the internet.

I though wonder why it has been working for other zerotier clients in this zerotier-network without this rule? Someone with knowledge about WIN10 might chime in here. I have no clue.

The fun part is that its not even working with an opened 1880 port now!:smile:

Did you ask your IT team for permission to do this? If not, you have most likely broken your organisation's terms and conditions of use. You cannot simply connect some random external VPN tool to a corporate network.

3 Likes

Almost guarantee as you are running it on Windows 10 - when you first establish the Zerotier connection (the first time and enable it on the ZT network - the Windows PC will pop up and ask you "do you want this PC to be discoverable by other devices on the network" - if you do not see this or do not answer in time - it disappears and then categorises the network as a Public not private network - and then lots of firewall things come in place.

So two things - go into network and internet settings and check what the network is classified as

If it is a public network - then this will probably be your problem - if you antivirus software also incorporates a firewall which takes over from Windows firewall then it will be even tricikier.

If you are just using windows firewall and see the network listed as public then you can use this powershell script

Try if after going through those steps.

After that then check if you have a firewall with your antivirus software and try and change the ZT network to private in there also

Craig

3 Likes

Good point. But let me stress again, if you like your job, don't do this without checking with your IT department first.

The ZT network is indeed classified as public but got stuck with the link since its not working!

Can someone provide a fresh link?

BTW.. I tried uninstalling and re-installing it but didnt get any option to set the network type as private

The link is workng fine as far as i can see - but just do a search in google

Change windows 10 network location from public to private and you will get lots of results

It essentially just needs two powershell commands

• Run the following command:

Get-NetConnectionProfile

• See the network name you want to change its type and run the following command:

Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name ā€œ** ITT**ā€ -NetworkCategory Private

Where ITT is the name of your network and you can change the -NetworkCategory switch value to Public or Private.

Uninstalling will not work - you would have to delete the node in Zerotier central and then forget the network on the local client and then rejoin the network

Craig

Finally got it to work!..changed the network to private and it worked like charm!

@craigcurtin @jodelkoenig @bakman2 -- all the assistance provided is much appreciated !..Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.