Major update to Twitter node coming

Hi,

Twitter have recently announced some changes to the APIs they provide. These will impact the functionality the Twitter node we provide is able to offer.

Most of the changes don’t come in to effect until August, but one set of changes are being made with only 30 days notice. And as we’re only just become aware of them, we only have 20 days left to respond.

Unfortunately, the change that is coming in 20 days time is the most disruptive - it will prevent the existing Twitter node from signing in to the API and prevent it from working.

We will be working on a fix - but it will be a disruptive change to the node. When we publish the new version of the Twitter node and announce it here, not only will you have to update the node module, but you’ll also have to take additional steps to authenticate your twitter nodes.

I apologise for the inconvenience this will bring. This is a reality of maintaining nodes for other people’s APIs.

Nick

4 Likes

The change to the sign-up api of Twitter means the node will no longer be able to provide the one-click authentication button.

Instead, a user will be required to register their own application with Twitter and generate a set of keys and access tokens for it. These keys will then have to be manually copied into the nodes edit dialog.

Here is what the new Twitter credentials node will look like:

Many thanks for the quick run for that!
I think it’s a very simple thing to do, as a user perspective, to maintain twitter usage.

thanks

Version 0.1.15 of the Twitter node has just been published. This is a minor version bump that adds in some very clear and obvious warnings about the imminent Twitter API changes.

We will have Version 1.0.0 of the Twitter node available before the June 12th deadline.

Hi maybe this should be not asked here. Sorry for that if so.

I'm trying to update twitter node and get a "Module not locally installed" error.

I've been looking for any solution on forums without success.

imagen

I've tried to remove node-red-node-twitter both locally and globally but it is still on nodered palette.

May you give me any clue to be able to update this node?

I answer myself. It was installed on /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/.

I’ve uninstalled the module and installed using palette manager.

Thanks

I have this same error:
Failed to update: node-red-node-twitter
Module not locally installed
Check the log for more information

I can't find where mine is installed. It is not in the path shown here.

"Manage Palette" only offers to update to V1.0.1 or disable all

I can't see how I can delete it so could do a fresh install or update it

Any thoughts please?
Thank you

Try using these commands on a command line

cd ~/.node-red
npm uninstall -g node-red-node-twitter --save

Thank you for the suggestion.
This is what I get.

pi@tcp101:~ $ npm uninstall -g node-red-node-twitter --save
npm WARN uninstall not installed in /usr/local/lib/node_modules: "node-red-node-twitter"

I edited to add the bit about changing the directory to .node-red.

I did also change the directory but got the same result.

If you
cd /usr/local/lib/node_modules

and
ls -altr

is there a node-red directory? If there is cd into it and repeat the ls command

Thank you

I did also find a pointer to that path somewhere else.
In my system there are only python folders in /usr/local/lib

no node_modules to be seen.

What version of node-red and nodejs are you using? (it tells you when you start node-red via a command line)

Welcome to Node-RED

19 Jul 18:34:26 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.18.6
19 Jul 18:34:26 - [info] Node.js version: v4.8.2
19 Jul 18:34:26 - [info] Linux 4.14.52-v7+ arm LE
19 Jul 18:34:27 - [info] Loading palette nodes
19 Jul 18:34:32 - [info] Dashboard version 2.9.6 started at /ui
19 Jul 18:34:34 - [info] Settings file : /home/pi/.node-red/settings.js
19 Jul 18:34:34 - [info] User directory : /home/pi/.node-red
19 Jul 18:34:34 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
19 Jul 18:34:34 - [info] Flows file : /home/pi/.node-red/flows_tcp101.json
19 Jul 18:34:34 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/
19 Jul 18:34:34 - [warn]

try the instructions listed here New Twitter node available - upgrade *required*

I have tried following those instructions.

The part that says it will identify where the node twitter files are comes back with nothing.
I am in this loop of roadblocks.

Node-red is running on a Raspberry Pi.
I have done all platform updates and installed NPM.

The Twitter node is part of the original Raspian node-red. It shows in NPM as being installed, it also shows an upgrade available but the upgrade fails and reports as above.
The only other option is to disable. There is no option to delete.

I think there are many aspects of Node-RED that are great, but it seems that when something goes wrong and is not handled by the GUI the back end of things is a rats nest.

You are still on the very old version of nodejs. If you run the update script from the docs it will update that, but also move the twitter node to a place where you can then upgrade it.

Thank you dceejay

That was a very dignified process and has solved my problem, thank you.

I thought having done apt-get update and upgrade a number of times I would have had all the current versions of things.

This process was very smooth with nice documentation and indication of what it was doing.

Much appreciated.

You’re welcome. Apt should have updated node.js ( if you are on Stretch version of Raspbian) but it wouldn’t tidy up the nodes. Which is what you needed in order to upgrade Twitter easily.

1 Like