Manage Palette ( dashboard) not visible

I have installed Node Red on Rapberry PI. We have few simple test flows working OK
Now trying to view and play with the “DASHBOARD”.
Problem- We can not see the “Manage Palette” setting under the Hamburger Menu.

My understanding is that we need to goto Manage Palette and then install the Dashboard.

We are running NODE RED V0.18.4

Any idays

If Node-RED cannot find npm then “Manage Palette” is hidden. This would be written to the log on startup of Node-RED.

How did you install the version you have on the pi?

If you look at the raspberry pi page on the nodered website there’s details of a script you can run that should update Node-RED and install npm

I have the same problem, only I had "Manage Palette" working earlier. Something has happened. So I have googled as a good boy scout and tried a bunch of advises from all around the web, always with a backup copy from before I started to mess around, of course. I have gone back to that several times, and I still am getting nowhere. The script stops on node.js:

Update Node.js LTS ✘ Failed to install Node.js - Exit

It doesn't help if I try to do a distro upgrade, or any other upgrade, with sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. I can add that I had Open Z-Wave running on Node-RED, but I removed that and installed Home Assistant to use the better support for Z-Wave locks that they have there. So when I try to install node.js manually with curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_10.x | sudo -E bash - I always have this error:

You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
openzwave : Depends: libopenzwave1.5 (>= 1.5+ds-4) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

And it doesn't seem like the new version is installed at all:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ node -v
v4.2.1

But running the broken install command doesn't work, perhaps because of the Home Assistant installation?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
lxkeymap python-cairo python-gobject python-gobject-2 python-gtk2 python-xklavier
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
libopenzwave1.5
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libopenzwave1.5
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
50 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/388 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,056 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 123542 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libopenzwave1.5 (1.5+ds-4) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/etc/openzwave/2gig/ct100.xml', which is also in package libopenzwave1.3 1.4.79.gfaea7dd
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So is this Pi a lost cause, something I should just dump and re-install from the ground up?

The reason that you cannot install node-red successfully is that your zwave installation has failed for some reason.
Try

sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get remove libopenzwave1.5

If that fails post the result here. If it succeeds then try

sudo apt-get install -f

again.

Thanks for trying to help me. This is the result:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb
rm: cannot remove '/var/cache/apt/archives/libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb': No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get remove libopenzwave1.5
Building dependency tree
Package 'libopenzwave1.5' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

OK, try

sudo apt-get remove  libopenzwave1.3
i@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get remove  libopenzwave1.3
Building dependency tree       
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libopenzwave1.5 openzwave
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libopenzwave1.3 libopenzwave1.3-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libopenzwave1.5
The following packages will be upgraded:
  openzwave
1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 405 kB of archives.
After this operation, 956 kB disk space will be freed.
Get:1 http://raspbian.trivini.no/raspbian stretch/main armhf libopenzwave1.5 armhf 1.5+ds-4 [388 kB]
Get:2 http://raspbian.trivini.no/raspbian stretch/main armhf openzwave armhf 1.5+ds-4 [16,9 kB]
Fetched 405 kB in 1s (392 kB/s) 
Reading changelogs... Done
Selecting previously unselected package libopenzwave1.5.
(Reading database ... 123730 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libopenzwave1.5 (1.5+ds-4) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/openzwave/2gig/ct100.xml', which is also in package libopenzwave1.3 1.4.79.gfaea7dd
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Preparing to unpack .../openzwave_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking openzwave (1.5+ds-4) over (1.4.79.gfaea7dd) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libopenzwave1.5_1.5+ds-4_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hmm, this isn’t going well is it. Try

sudo apt-get remove openzwave

That didn’t puke up any errors. Or is the “1 not fully installed or removed” an error?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get remove openzwave
Building dependency tree       
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  openzwave
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 41,0 kB disk space will be freed.
(Reading database ... 123731 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing openzwave (1.5+ds-4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...

And what would my next move be? Can I try the Node-RED update now`?

THIS FORUM SOFTWARE IS THE WORST IN THE F’ING WORLD!!! Same sh!t that Home Assistant forum uses, and I hate it. And this is the latest “fun thing” from it (I believe this is a standard setting in the software that needs to be actively changed by the forum admin):

You have reached the reply limit for this topic

We’re sorry, but new users are temporarily limited to 3 replies in the same topic.

Instead of adding another reply, please consider editing your previous replies, or visiting other topics.

And after that rant, I will do as the software says and mess up the timeline in this thread totally! So my first edit:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So far, so good. Stand by for my next update to further make the timeline if the thread confusing! :wink:

Edit 2: The full update of the Pi worked as well. Looking up!

Edit 3: More about the forum software: “Earned First Emoji”. “Earned Editor”. Does the morons who programs this forum software think that they are making a social network for five year olds?

Edit 4: Nope, unfortunately it still stops: Update Node.js LTS ✘ Failed to install Node.js - Exit

Edit 5: Colin, since this forum software is a lot more interested in showing me which “badges” you have earned than in letting me send you a PM to tell you that I have started this idiotic song and dance with editing my message, I can’t even let you know that I have answered! Really reminds me of an old police movie (I think): “Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges!” :triumph: So I tried “liking” your post (again social network for five year olds as a technical nerd forum? Bull!) maybe that can let you know that there’s something new going on here… If not I’ll just be patient and wait until the next time you pop in.

Edit 6: Oh, I hope you’re understanding that my rants are not about you, you’re very helpful! I just hate “dumbing dow” technical forums with forum software that thinks it’s so hip and cool because you can like and earn stuff. Perfect forum software: phpBB.

Edit 7: I don’t think it’s a concious thought behind it. If it’s to protect from spam it’s very weird that you can post all you want in other threads, only not more in the same thread. Spamming is usually posting the same message in as many threads as possible. If not it’s not efficient. But the log is long, and I can’t seem to add a file to this post. How should I add that? Can you maybe PM meand then I can answer with the file? I still can’t find out how to PM you.

Run this first just to check everything is happy.

sudo apt-get install -f

Then, if ok

sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then if still ok run the node red update.

1 Like

Post the install log from running the update. /var/log/nodered-install.log
I guess the problems you are having with the forum are to protect us from spam from new users.

Start a new thread and I will see that.

does the instruction work to make it visible again ?

This is a long thread, mainly about a wave install messing up the dashboard.

Is this the problem you are experiencing? If not please open a new thread...

my manage palette is missing too

Have you also installed zwave?

If your answer is NO, please open a new topic and post the startup logs from node-red

no, i haven't

okay, just create a new topic